World MasterCard MasterRental Insurance

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a World MasterCard which we plan to use for a car rental in Ireland in May. Following suggestions here, I called MasterCard and received a copy of the MasterRental Insurance agreement. Under the heading "Where you are covered," it states: "In general, coverage applies worldwide, but there are exceptions:" There are no exceptions listed, so should this be good enough for a car rental in Ireland? Also, are there any companies that don't charge an arm and a leg for an extra driver? Thank for the help.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 07:28 PM
esm

Ireland & Italy are excluded.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 11:19 PM

We have a World Master Card and we were covered in Ireland(as per their Letter of Coverage and a copy of terms and conditions for MasterRental). To get a copy of these, call 1-800-MC-ASSIST. They can answer all your questions and email you a copy of the Letter of Coverage which the car rental agency may want, along with a copy of terms and conditions which will show you are covered in Ireland.

Master Cards other than the "World" cards exclude Ireland, as do all Visa cards.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 11:24 PM

The phone number you called was probably the one on the back of your Master Card. The phone number you need is the 800 number listed above. This will give you the insurance department which has the specifics on the rental agreements.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 05:10 AM

For in-depth discussion on car hire, see:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nsurance-1.cfm

It's why I call Irish Car Hire, "Kissing The Frog" ...

Bob
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I had called 1-800-MC-ASSIST but obviously was not sent the correct document. I just called and specifically asked for a Letter of Coverage. As an aside, Bob, I enjoyed your trip report on your stay in west Cork. We're renting a cottage near Goleen our first week in Ireland.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Off recommendations from these posts, we too got a World MC for our Ireland trip hoping to use it for our car rental. The person at MC was very nice and told me we would be covered in Ireland. The document they then sent me didn't speak to car rental or Ireland.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 12:56 PM

The doc I received was a bit vague about this matter, but when I actually used the World Mastercard, it worked like a champ.

I scrambled around trying to find the actual World Mastercard, and at first I received cards that had the word "world" on them but that weren't the right card.

Finally I found a Citi bank AAdvantage World Mastercard, which was the card I used. I had read that the card should begin with the numbers 5466, and sure enough, my card began with those numbers.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 08:01 PM

alohatoall -- If you don't get what you need from MC, call them again and specifically ask for something in writing that says they cover rentals in Ireland. If your card is a World Master Card, it does cover in Ireland, but I understand your wanting it in writing.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 05:25 AM

alohatoall: Thanks for your kind comments about my Trip Report. You will doubtless LOVE the South West. LOTS and LOTS of interesting sites sights and diversions in ALL directions.

Bob
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

I got the promised email from MC, and it's exactly what I had received in the mail: a form letter which it calls a Letter of Coverage, and a document several pages long entitled "MasterRental Insurance," with NO reference to Ireland anywhere. But these sound like the documents crckwc1 and Tuni01 mention above, and asking for something specifically referring to coverage in Ireland is beginning to feel like an exercise in futility! So I suppose I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Thanks to all for the help.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 12:08 PM

In ten trips over the last nine years, I've ALWAYS used MC to waive the CDW -- running the gamut trough Gold / Platinum / World. NEVER, EVER, have they asked me to see a letter.

As a MC accepting erchant, it is incumbent on THEM to phone MC -- Toll Free -- if they have any questions, or doubts, as to your card's coverage.

It is EQUALLY incumbent of YOU, though, to make sure, 'cause you will be ULTIMATELY responsible.

I wouldn't sweat 'The Letter', though.

Bob
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

We're renting from Hertz through Conn O'Scannlain, so I'm not going to sweat it anymore -- his rates were by far the best. BTW, Bob, I'm really looking forward to our week in the SW (followed by 3 days in Dingle, a week in Clifden, 3 days in Donegal, and 3 days near Derry). If you have any advice, do let me know. We stayed in Kinsale our first trip, so this time we'll probably get as far east as Clonakilty, and of course West Cork's three peninsulas and small towns like Baltimore are definitely on the list.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 04:07 AM

While in the SW, be sure to visit/traverse the Goat's Path -- at least from Bantry to the summit to enjoy the views of Bantry Bay from Finn Mac Cool's Seat. Also, just outside of Bantry (on the Drimoleague Road) is a turn off for Vaughn's Pass. Just a short distance up that road is a lay-by (parking area that gives you a panoramic over view of Bantry and the bay.

The Doo Lough Valley, from Lenane through Delphi to Louisburg, that ends in Westport, has more scenic beauty and stirring pathos (Famine Walk Memorial)than any other place I have ever been. Throw in Kylemore Abbey, Croagh Patrick and Assleagh Falls, Killary Harbor and a visit to Matt Malloy's in Westport and you have a FULL day trip out of Clifden that covers some of the BEST that Ireland has to offer.

If you found my Trip Report on he SW useful, you MIGHT want to peruse the Donegal portion of the REALLY - REALLY -- LO-O-ONG: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...overy-tour.cfm Silver Strand and Glencolumbkille ere incredible. Donegal is truely unique.

I think it's on the second page ...

Bob
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:36 PM

Bob's comments about the Doo Lough Valley are right on. We made the exact same trip in September, 2008, except we started in Westport and ended in Clifden.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Bob, thanks for the link - I devoured your Voyage of Discovery! I'll think I'll break your day out of Clifden into 2 days, though, and at least save Kylemore Abbey for another day. I wonder if there's any chance the rhododendron will be in bloom by May 20?
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 05:17 PM

I would say the chances are good. You DO realize that you are only given access to just a few rooms in the Main House and the grounds??? Be sure to walk down to te Chapel and the Family Crypt. The road from Recess to the Abbey (R344)is also VERY picturesque.

If you decide to visit Cong and have some spare time, the drive from Leenane to Maam to Maam Cross is also quite pretty -- You could drive Clifden to Recess to Maam Cross on the N59, then north on the R336 to Maam and thenEast on the R345 to Cong -- returning to Maam and then, STAY on the R336 up to Leenane -- or, ....

That way, counting the drive to Westport, you will have have covered pretty much all of Connemara.

Bob
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Bob, thanks again for your help. We'll add Roundstone and Ballyconneely, Cleggan and Inishbofin, and probably a drive to Galway City, giving us a relaxing, beauty-filled week. I just hope we can take some Hawaiian sunshine with us! I really appreciate your input and have enjoyed your trip reports. When are you going again?
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 03:39 AM

Set feet to ground at Shannon on 13 June and my wife will drag me -- Kicking and Screaming -- back onto the plane (also at SNN ) on 28 June, mid-day.

Renting a house for two weeks, in Millstreet, Co. Cork. Trip #11, over the past 10 years. Wife has family in East Cork, near Midelton.

Are you planning a trip to the Arans?

Bob
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Another thing to watch out for! It may not be such a problem in Ireland, as the Euro is lower, but when we rented in Scotland this summer, they didn't have a car in our size category that was under $50,000 in value. Anything higher than $50,000 was considered a luxury rental, and the insurance would NOT cover it. Of course, at the time the Pound was about 2:1 over the car, and a £25,000 car is not unusual. It did cost us a chunk, though, especially as we had two cars (6 people). So do watch for that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -