Reload this Page >

Working in Switzerland

Search

Working in Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2001, 11:43 PM
Melaine

Working in Switzerland

How easy is it to obtain work in Switzerland? I am 20 from Australia with inlaws in burgdorf. Can I obtain a working visa? Is it easy enough to obtain? I have experience in administration and hospitality and speak a little bit of french. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old May 2nd, 2001, 12:52 AM
Florence

You should ask about working visas at the Swiss embassy or the Swiss Chamber of Commerce in Australia. Getting one when you come as a university student is easy, otherwise it generally depends on finding a Swiss employer before you come. You might find one after you arrive, but they are usually reluctant to hire a foreigner because of the paperwork involved. Of course, there are plenty of opportunities to work "au noir", but it is hasardous. <BR> <BR>

Old May 2nd, 2001, 01:44 AM
Ursula

Melanie: What about working as an "au pair"? <BR>I suppose - as Florence says correctly - that is quite difficult to obtain a work permit. We have some foreigners (Germans and French) in my company and I better don't tell you about the paperwork.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 04:41 AM
dan woodlief

Melanie, I wouldn't have the inside knowledge of the others who have posted. However, when I traveled to Switzerland, I remember reading on the way over about how Switzerland has a large population of foreign workers. I do remember that one of the desk clerks at our hotel was from Canada and had been in Switzerland for a few years working. Also, a waiter at one of the restaurants in Kleine Scheidegg was from Canada. It would seem it is possible even if you do have to jump through hoops to make it happen. Maybe things have changed since 1997.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 07:33 AM
brownie

Hi Melanie, <BR> <BR>Well my boyfriend and I are both aussies working in Switz. We found it easier to get a job here instead of the UK (with a proper permit and not working holiday) because switzerland is not part of the EU. Any EU resident to work in Switz. needs a permit too. <BR> <BR>Next, it depends on where in switzerland you'd like to work. Burgdorf is in Canton Berne. I have a canton BAsel (though I work in Berne) permit while my boyfriend has a canton Zurich permit which did seem harder to get (more questions, more paperwork etc..). <BR> <BR>Ideally you have to get a job before coming. But my boyfriend came with me first (I had a job first) and then got his here. It wasn't that much of a stress .. but you might have to wait about 3 months before your permit comes through. <BR> <BR>It would depend on the job that you are looking for. We're both in the computing/engineering sector so there's plenty of demand for that... you might have to do a search on the web (try www.flipdog.com) to see what you can find. Most employers will have to prove to the authorities that they could not find any local person to fill in the post before hiring a foreigner. <BR> <BR>Send me an e-mail if you need any further information. Would be glad to help. Good luck. <BR> <BR