Worcester lodgings suggestions

Apr 16th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Worcester lodgings suggestions

Staying in Worcester for 3 days for research at the Record Office for family history. Anyone else been there and have suggestions. Will be single female for a few days and want to be in center of town maybe?
Thanks
Apr 16th, 2005, 01:09 PM

I lived near Worcester for some years and the Giffard Hotel is right by the cathedral, the Swan is further down the high street but closer to the register/records office and library. Neither are anything very special, although the Swan maybe has a little more character, being an old coaching inn. Fownes Hotel on the City Walls Road is the most upmarket (and probably the most expensive) hotel in Worcester, but an easy walk into town as well. Nicest places to stay in Worcestershire are out of town though. However, you could try typing "Bed & Breakfast in Worcester UK" into a search engine and see what comes up - there are quite a few B&Bs around Worcester if you are on a tight budget - you'd probably not pay more than £20-30 per night for B&B. Can't give you much of an idea on price on the hotels - sorry.
Apr 17th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Julia, the Swan sounds neat or I might try the B&B for Worcestershire, I've been thinking of a B&B in Upton Snodsbury, one of my ancestors lived there back in the early 1800's. That might not be too much of a drive and then go to Worcester for the day. Any thoughts since you lived in the region?
Thanks
Apr 17th, 2005, 01:29 PM

I lived a few miles northwest of Worcester, but Upton Snodsbury is in the Vale of Evesham which is full of pretty villages with lots of black and white timbered cottages. US (!) is about 5 miles out of Worcester, just off a main road so an easy drive in, and there should be a local bus service running. The B&B you have in mind should be able to advise you about that anyway, and have timetables etc.
I tried typing Worcestershire Tourist Information into google.co.uk, and there are lots of links; (I've found tourist boards around the country really good for info on where to stay). Good luck, and let me know how you get on and what you decide. When are you going?
Apr 17th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going June 8th -25th, but will be touring England and Scotland the 13th -25th. Can't wait.
Apr 18th, 2005, 06:12 AM

I live about 30 mins. drive north of Worcester. I agree that the city centre hotels don't look very good (by the way, the Giffard is now a Travelodge), so if you have a car it is probably nicer to stay in one of the villages.

Have you looked at smoothhound for accommodation (www.s-h-systems.co.uk)? It lists quite a lot of B&Bs. One that looks nice and is actually in the centre of Worcester is Burgage House, though I don't know anyone who has stayed there.

Ombersley, about 3 miles north of Worcester, is another nice village with black-and-white timbered houses and a couple of pubs that do good food as well as a nice restaurant. The Crown & Sandys pub has rooms (www.crownandsandys.co.uk - but more expensive than a B&B). Again, I don't know anyone who has actually stayed there so I can't comment on the level of service!

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have about Worcester if I can.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:39 AM

Yes, Ombersley is a pretty village. But besides some very good pubs/restaurants, there is only an excellent butchers and Evertons of Ombersley (gourmet grocers, and well worth a visit). You would be about 1 mile from the River Severn at Holt Fleet - quite picturesque.
I've no plans for June 8-13, so if you, and maybe Starlily too, care to meet up for a drink or meal one evening, let's have a GTG!
Starlily says she is 30 miles north, and I am 30 miles south, so somewhere in Worcester could be good.....
Let's keep in touch?