Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wondering how I could get from Milan to Lake Maggiore?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of taking a tour of Italy that will end in Milan.It will be my first trip to Italy; to Europe for that matter.I am thinking of going from Milan to Lake Maggiore for a couple of days at at the end of this tour.I don't want to drive.Does anyone happen to know if the trains and or buses travel this route? Thanks for any information.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:04 PM

There are trains from Milan Centrale station to Stresa (and, I'm sure, other places on Lake Maggiore - you didn't specify where you'd like to go). Go to the Italian train web site and take a look. Enter Milano Centrale in the departure box and Stresa (or other town) in the arrival box.

http://www.trenitalia.com/home/en/

I stayed outside Stresa last October and I would highly recommend renting a car. If you rent from Malpensa airport (rather than from downtown Milan) the drive is very easy to Lake Maggiore and you would have so much more flexibility.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 06:45 AM
GAC

From Stresa back to Malpensa airport, there is a direct airporter bus service which runs from April through mid-October. www.vcoinbus.it

Otherwise, you take any local train from Stresa which stops at Gallarate Station, then either the city bus or a taxi from the Gallarate train station to Malpensa airport.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 10:49 AM

The train trip from Milano Centrale to Stresa takes about 45 minutes. Very easy.

We stayed at the Hotel Verbano on Isola dei Pescatore just off shore of Stresa. Fabulous! I recommend it highly. Wonderful views, the only lodging on the tiny island, dead quiet at night.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 11:06 AM
GAC

Beware that not every train between Milano Centrale and Domodossola actually stops in Stresa. The majority do stop, but not 100%. So enquire before boarding. Also, Intercity and Cisalpino trains are faster and cost slightly more than local trains on this route.