Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever stayed at Palazzo Starace in Sorrento?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 08:44 PM
Tania

I'm doing my first trip to Italy this summer, and am planning on spending 10 days doing day trips out of Sorrento for the first leg of the journey. I've chosen Palazzo Starace because of their ideal location, combined with their brilliantly low prices (air conditioning, private bathroom and breakfast included-62 euro's a night for single occupancy in August.) <BR><BR>I'd like to know if anyone has stayed there, and if they can provide me with any information that's otherwise not provided at their website.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance,<BR>tania

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 12:53 AM
Kay

Tania,<BR>We're staying there in early March for 6 nights so I hope it's good! We picked it for budget and location. Be happy to let you know what it's like when we get back. We did have to mail one night's deposit as a bank draft/cheque in Euro but they emailed me straight away to let me know they had received it.<BR>Kay

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 06:17 AM
loisp

Kay: hoping you'll post your reaction here when you return. I, too, am looking for a hotel in Sorrento with nice rooms and bath overlooking the Bay but on a budget. look forward to your report. Lois

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 02:25 AM
Kay

Have just had 6 nights at Palazzo Starace and would recommend it, but it doesnt have bay views, our room had a balcony and overlooked the main street which was great for people watching. Not noisy at night. We had a double room, shower in the bathroom, TV, aircon and heating. Breakfast is provided across the street at the local bar, mainly coffee and croissants. 3 flights of marble steps to reach the room, a lift (of sorts) for luggage. The shower is not great but adequate. Great value for money. Large bedroom.<BR>We walked past the Loreley which overlooks the bay but I think too far from town, not too far out but we like to be central for restaurants etc.<BR>Feel free to email the above address but I dont know when I will next check emails.Kay

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Barb

Tania: Do you have web address for the Palazzo Starace. I too am looking for a good budget hotel.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Tania

Thanks for getting back with the info, Kay! Seems like the hotel is perfectly do-able, so I can rest easy with my reservation, not stressing over whether I made the right choice or not.<BR><BR>BARB- Here's the website for Palazzo Starace:<BR><BR>http://web.tiscali.it/palazzostarace/english/palazzostarace.htm<BR><BR>Given the high prices of Sorrento hotels (in the summer at least), the place seems like quite a find--and it's totally central.<BR><BR>tania

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Kay

Forgot to say before that only 2 rooms have balconies that we know of. The other rooms have windows that look out onto other streets. Suggest you ask for Room 3 if you want a balcony - it overlooks Corso Italia - the main drag.<BR>Best wishes, Kay

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 03:51 PM
ttt

topping

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Barb

I just made reservations and they want a deposit of 51.50 E. Not sure how to do this. A bank check has to be specially ordered by my bank - takes 2 weeks and costs $15!! I could send a check and just put 51.50 Euro? Or I can get a traveller's check, no fee through AAA, but they only come in denominations of $50. So, I would be short 1.50. Any suggestions from anyone who has done this before.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Kay

Barb,<BR>We stayed there last month and had to send a cheque in Euro as well, a bit of pain to go to the bank plus the costs involved. They emailed me as soon as they received the cheque in the mail. I just chalked it up to another trip cost.<BR>Why not email the Palazzo Starace, explain the problem and ask if they'll take the $50 travellers cheque. Or maybe try another bank.<BR>Kay

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Barb

Thanks Kay, I think I'll send the travellers check and see what happens.

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barb: If you're still out there, I know this is an old post but wondering how you paid for your deposit to this B&amp;B.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 09:30 AM

Sera, I did end up sending the 50 E. traveller's check and it worked just fine. BTW - this was really a great place to stay. I had a really large room, w/2 twin beds, tv. a table and two chairs, a closet that locked and a good size bathroom with enclosed shower for 51 E. The location was just the best. I will definitely stay here again. I hope they don't raise their rates!!
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 11:50 AM

Barb: Thanks for the info. It does look like a good deal.