Search

Greece

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece

I have 3 weeks in May to spend in Greece with my daughters ages 20 and 22 -so just us 3 ladies!!. I have made no plans for anything yet. I would like to go to Delphi and Metorini,Mykonos and Santorini- Is Crete a good place to spend about a week? I also plan to go to Patmos and would like to go to Aegina,Hydra-Any suggestions on how to travel,what itenerary and where to stay/eat? I am on a tight budget. Someone told me NOT to make reservations to spend the night on the islands because local people will be at ferries holding signs up with cheaper places to stay-Is this true and/or dependable? All guided tours seem to be out of price range since I am paying for all of us-Any help would be deeply appreciated. I had NO IDEA how complicated Greece was until AFTER I agreed to the trip and booked the tickets or Id probably have run the other way!
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 11:53 AM

May = next month?

You have "made no plans for anything", but you have "booked the tickets." Which tickets have you booked? Where you are arriving and leaving Greece would impact what you can do in between.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Sorry- May 13-June 2 2014 I will be in Greece- I have bought plane tickets and of course we have traveled alot so we have passports Thanks for any help deciding what to do
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 08:59 PM

I don't think that Greece is complicated at all.
As a start i would study a map to locate all the places that you want to visit.
The ones you mentioned are all over the country, and would require a lot of time to travel between them.
Not making any reservations means that you will have to search for suitable accommodation upon your arrival, which isn't always easy. There are people waiting at the port indeed, but only on certain islands, mainly the Cyclades.

I think you could combine both the Mainland and some islands, the Cyclades are easy to reach, and you can easily ferry between some of them.

As for the Mainland, there is a lot to see, you can see Meteora, Delphi and the Peloponnese best with a rental car, and stay wherever you choose, May won't be a busy month .
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree you need to get a decent map and check where these places are so you are not backtracking all over the place. Most people suggest leaving Athens until last in case of ferry cancellations coming back from the islands. You could do the islands first then the mainland second. Although you have 3 weeks it sounds to me like you have too many places on your list. Also as May is only weeks away, get researching now!

A good website for checking ferry connections and fares is -
http://www.go-ferry.com/

We stayed at this hotel on Hydra and would recommend it -
http://www.ippokampos.com/

I would suggest getting hold of a good guidebook - Lonely Planet Greece would be good as it has cheaper places to stay and really good maps. For example at Piraeus, the port, it can be confusing about where all the ferries arrive and depart so checking out a map beforehand will help a lot.

A rough idea without checking timetables etc is -
fly into Athens, fly straight out to Mykonos (saves time)
Ferry to Santorini - you get amazing views from up on deck which you won't get from a catamaran which is closed in
Ferry to Crete
fly back to Athens or overnight ferry - book a cabin
Then see Delphi etc on the mainland
Fly home.

Kay
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 07:59 AM

I agree you have too many places listed. You say you are on a budget, moving from place to place costs money.

People tend to say, 'to see as much as possible' which is understandable but they also tend to confuse the word 'much' with the word 'many'. They are not synonymous. The way to see/do as 'much' as possible is to spend your time and money IN places, not in BETWEEN places.

Greece is not complicated, but you do seem to be making it complicated for yourself by trying to go to too many places in too little time.

I would suggest you cut your list down drastically. It's a vacation, not a race or a list to tick names off. I would not plan on visiting anywhere for less than 4 nights/3 full days and I would suggest that you spend a week in each of two places. One being the mainland and the second being an island of your choice. That leaves enough time for squeezing in 2 short stops somewhere else.

So say a week on the mainland, a week on a major island (Crete, Corfu, Rhodes) and a week split between two other islands like Mykonos or Santorini. You will waste less time and money moving and have a far more relaxing vacation. Does that sound complicated to you?

The simple itinerary suggested by KayF makes sense to me if you have done no real research and have no real preferences of your own.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank yo all-I have done so much research is part of my problem-I have watched dvds rented library books and bought a big book on budget europe(includes Greece) and the lonely palnet newest addition-The more I read the more I dont know what is the best to do iwth the girls-Im laid back and easy -as long as i a m traveling I dont care when or where that much-Iam also very spontaneous which make planning very difficult to me-Thanks for your patience with me and your help-I so dont want to disappoint my girls - Thanks again-susan
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the age your daughters are they should be actively planning this with you. Surely they have some ideas of where they'd like to go and what they'd like to see? If not, they need to be researching as well. They will enjoy it more if there are things they are looking forward to and if they know a bit more about what is planned, rather than just following their Mum.

Also as you aren't going in peak season you should be able to be a bit flexible, which you say you like, and have a rough plan but then book ferries and hotels once you arrive in each place.

Kay
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 01:52 PM

Good point re the daughters taking more responsibility in the decision making. As you have done research then it now appears that what you are suffering from is 'paralysis by analysis'. Simply too many attractive choices. What do they want to do on this vacation?

If the answer is sun and sand for example, then pick one island and be done with it.

Try this idea. Often it helps to reduce the size of the area you are thinking of. So instead of saying,'Greece for 3 weeks' try 'Crete for 3 weeks'.

Greece is no different than home. If you live (I'm just guessing)in the USA for example, you wouldn't think of visiting California, Arizona, Texas, Florida, New York, Massachusetts, etc. all in 3 weeks. But that is what you are basically saying you want to do in Greece. Too many places which all could provide you with enough to see and do for a week or more each.

The answer is simple, pick fewer places. If you and your daughters chose ONE criteria each and told us what they are, I bet we could name ONE destination within Greece that will provide all three.

For example, you say you want some ancient Greek history, one daughter says a great beach and the other says decent nightlife. I can name a dozen islands that would provide all three.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 04:46 AM

Hello, I'm an Athenian, 46 years old with two children 18 and 22years old. I know how is to travel with two children-adults.
Everyone has its own interests and that's the difficulty - to combine the "needs" and the "wants" of different persons.
My opinion is to eliminate your destinations so you can see more of the places you choose to go to and to reduce the cost of transportation as well.
My proposal includes 8 days in Athens, 7 days in Crete (Chania) and the rest of the days in Myconos and Santorini.
Stay in Athens to see the famous archaeological sights, museums, walk the old and new neighbourhoods, go for nightclubbing, relax under the sun in the Athenian Riviera, go for shopping, taste the greek food and make a daily excursion to Aegina and Hydra.
In Chania we usually stay in

http://www.roumpedakis.gr/index.html

and from there we take public buses (KTEL) to travel arround. The highlight of this place is that you have everything within a walking distance and the owner is very helpfull. He will tell you what to see, where you eat and Hidden places -non touristic ones.
From Athens you can fly to Chania with Ryanair (the cheapest way).
If you want more information about my beautiful country don't hesitate to ask for it.
Life in Athens and Crete is not expensive but Myconos and Santorini are cosmopolitan islands and therefore are expensive.