Search

greece

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2016, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greece

Just beginning my planning of a trip to Greece in May. I often start with Rick Steves itinerary and then tweak with all of your wonderful feedback. It only gives me a start, as I know many of you do not like his itineraries.This is what he has, what are your thoughts:
Atens-2days
Boat to Hydra- 2 days
Back to Athens, pick up car and drive to Delphi
Visit Delphi and then to Olympia
Sightsee Olympia and then drive to Kardamyll (2 nights)
Mani Peninsula loop drive and then to Monemvasia for 2 nights
See Mycenae en route to Nafplio for 2 nights , daytrip to Epidavros from here
Back to Athens

I don't love the one night stays and I would for sure want to include at least 1 island.

What about this itinerary do you like and what is it missing?
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 06:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Skip Hydra and travel to Greek island at the end via ferry or planes.That is what Rick expects his tour members to do.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 06:24 PM

Greeks islands!
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 09:34 PM

if you go to Delphi, you are almost half way to Meteora.

3 weeks in Greece and islands in September and this was really my favorite place. Google it... the pictures are really what it's like! A beautiful area.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 10:46 PM

You will see much more with your planned mainland itinerary than those who go to the Greek Islands, so IMO you are on the right track. Islands are great for beach holidays, but not so much for seeing important historic sights.

An alternative would be to fly to/from Santorini (an exception to what I wrote above) at the beginning of the trip rather than a ferry to Hydra. Pick up your rental car at the airport upon return from Santorini and start your mainland itinerary.

It's best to be back in Athens a day or two before your flight home, especially if you are on the islands, just in case weather or strikes delay ferries and flights back to the mainland.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 12:55 AM

"I don't love the one night stays"
but you can't probably avoid to stay 1 night at Delphi and 1 night at Olympia. Visit Mistras (day trip from Kardamili).
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 05:41 AM

Good afternoon,

This is the most popular schedule, well known as "touristic", but if you really want to see the real Greece, you have to see other places. Peloponesse, islands, and not especially Cyclades (my recomedation is Crete, rhodes, and of course Ionian Islands..green, great hospitality, lovel,y beaches, delicious food,everything you would like to see...) You have to go to Meteora, and Mani / Sparta / Mystras. Everything is beautiful there.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 07:30 AM

Just my opinion but I don't think Rick Ste3ves does Greece very well.

What are your goals for this trip? It sounds like it is going to be an historical focus but is that because of Ricks plan or are you looking for some relaxation on the islands or a combination of both?

I had trouble counting the actual days you plan to be in Greece. Is it 14 days including transatlantic flights so actually 12?

Anyway here is what I would do. On arrival immediately fly to Santorini. In my opinion it is a must see island for the wonderful Caldera Views. It is expensive and crowded but even I can put up with that for 2 or three days.
Santorini http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632154800782/

Fly back to Athens for your mainland portion of the trip or find a companion Island like Naxos or Paros. Three or 4 days should do it then fly back to Athens.
Trip around Naxos http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7634605629689/

Rent a car and drive to Naflio. It needs two days just to visit the Venetian Kastros and then a few day trips to Epidvros, Mycenae, Tiyrns. On the way to Nafplio stop at Ancient Nemia (it had panhellenic games like Olympia) Also consider the very compact site at Ancient Corinth.
Nafplio and Peloponnese http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632094108982/

From here you need to decide if you want to go deeper into the Peloponnese to visit Mystras, Monemvassia and Mani or head north to Delphi and Meteora. Each option will require 3 to 4 days so your time will be up.
Olympia Delphi Meteora https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...7645469717811/

Leave at least two days for Athens at the end of the trip.
Athens http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632121475515/
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 07:47 AM

It would be nice to add Paros or Naxos to the above itinerary after two or three nights in Santorini.They will give you a more Greek experience than Santorini.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Originally I was thinking of about 2-2 1/2 weeks in Greece and then going to the Aeolian Islands off of Sicily but now I am thinking maybe it is best to do the islands off of Sicily another time. I can be flexible on total trip time but do not want to be gone more than 4 weeks and no less than 3 weeks.Someone asked what my goals for this trip are. WE always love history and I look forward to a combination of some relaxing beach and scenery time as well.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 11:57 AM

If you have three weeks then you can do everything I suggested in my plan. I would try to push Naxos to 5 days though. There is just so much to do there.
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 05:42 PM

Starting a simalar journey but with Meteora added
Athen to Delphi 29/30 April
Delphi to Kalabaka May 1 with side trip to Thermoplyae
Kalabaka May 2nd & 3rd

Drive for overnight on May 4 to Nafpaktos

Cross bridge to Pelleponese May 5 --Olympia
May 7 drive to Corinth via Mycene --o/nite Corinth (2nd visit)
May 8 return car to Athens--till May 12 then
Ios --Santorini --Naxos
Back to Athens June 1

Then sit back and decide what else till June 15 flight home
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 06:36 PM

As for Thermopylae, read some guide books & reviews. Terrain has totally changed since ancient times, so not able to picture the conflict. Statues & plaques ... and if you want to dip in the Hot Springs (that's what the name means) there's a building near by. Read Trip Advisor reviews & a guidebook before deciding whether to detour for this.
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 07:49 PM

Saw a YouTube and guy stood on exact spot but the small bay silted up and water now a ways off

Actually the road at the side is believed the shore line and when you look at it like that a very narrow space

Passed it by express bus APRIL 30th 1977 and said

"I,ll be back" lol