Wolverhampton, UK - Town and Hotels

Jun 26th, 2001, 07:26 AM
Susie

Wolverhampton, UK - Town and Hotels

I'm thinking about staying in Wolverhampton while attending the Ryder Cup in September. Does anyone know anything about Wolverhampton? Is it a nice and safe place to stay? Restaurant recommendations? Does anyone know anything about the Connaught Hotel or the Brittania Hotel in Wolverhampton?
Thanks for your help.

Jun 26th, 2001, 07:49 AM
JOdy

Wolverhampton is a typical Midlands modern industrail town, I'm sure it would be perfectly safe. Not familiar with either hotel you mentioned. There is a reall y nice late 19th cen NT property nearby , Wightwick Manor, worth a visit if you are intereseted in Art Nov. .

Jun 26th, 2001, 09:25 AM
kate

Can I be honest? Wolverhampton is not a very attractive industriqal town and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The name may sound pretty but this is very misleading. The Ryder Cup takes place at The Belfry, a golf course and hotel on the outskirts of Sutton Coldfield, a suburb on the edge of Birmingham. Sutton Coldfield (where I am from) is a prettier town, but is not that well served with hotels, except for the New Inn, which is a very smart hotel based in the oldest moated Manor House in England. However during the Ryder Cup it will probably be full.

Have you considered Stratford on Avon? Just a 40 minute drive away?

Jun 26th, 2001, 09:46 AM
janis

Wolverhampton - NO. Sutton Coldfield - qualified no.

There are many wondeful B&Bs and small hotels in the Warwickshire countryside between Stratford and B'ham. Or you can stay in Warwick - a great small town with a magnificent castle right in the centre. Much better than staying anywhere near Wolverhampton.

Jun 28th, 2001, 07:55 AM
Kate

Thanks for the insight and advice. I have not been to that part of the UK, so I am not familiar with the towns.

I'll try Stratford on Avon. Do you have any recommended hotels there?

I have been able to find a couple hotels with vacancies in Coventry -- the Coventry Hill Hotel and the Britania Coventry Hotel. Any thoughts about staying in Coventry or about those hotels?

Thanks for your help.

Susie

Jun 28th, 2001, 09:40 AM
chris

Susie:
Sounds like we are working on the same thing! Do you already have your event tickets? Unfortunately I feel very late in starting this process!! I am trying to pull this off as a surprise anniversary gift for my husband (okay, so I will enjoy it, too!!). If you have any advice on finding event tickets, please let me know! So far I have only found tickets in conjunction with hotel packages, and the hotels are not the greatest. I keep telling myself that I'm not going to the Ryder Cup to enjoy the hotel!!

Jun 28th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Susie

To: Chris
I do have my event tickets. I got them in the lottery from the Ryder Cup last June (2000). I'm just trying to fill in my hotel accomodations now. You'd think that the Ryder Cup people or the PGA Tour would offer some assistance, but I haven't found any help from them yet. Good Luck.

Susie

Jul 2nd, 2001, 08:22 AM
kate

Hi Susie

I've also sent you an email

Actually, I wouldn't recommend Coventry either, it's a very industrial town which was heavily bombed during WW2, destroying any old buildings still standing, including the medieval cathedral.

The Midlands is a strange part of the country in that respect. Beautiful countryside with a mixture of pretty towns and downright ugly ones.

I would consider Stratford, Warwick (pretty county town with fabulously well preserved castle), Royal Leamington Spa, or Lichfield (very pretty town with large medieval cathedral).

Good luck!