Reload this Page >

Wobbly bridge to re-open

Search

Wobbly bridge to re-open

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 05:48 AM
AnnaC

Wobbly bridge to re-open

Apologies if this has already been posted and I've missed it.<BR><BR>The London Millennium Bridge, affectionately known as the wobbly bridge will reopen this Friday, 22nd February.<BR><BR>http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/...00/1829053.stm

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Patrick Wallace

As one who wobbled on its abortive first day last summer (it didn't strike me as that bad, but there you go), I can't help wondering how many people are going to spend time trying to make it wobble..Still, there's a while before the major tourist rush. And if it is OK, it will be a useful experience - walk round from London Bridge to Tate Modern and the Globe, and over the WB straight to St Pauls. Marvellous

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 06:56 AM
janis

I walked the bridge and was really looking forward in using it again on my next trip. The fireworks display on the river to celebrate the bridge was absolutly magnificent. I got a great view from the river edge right in front of the Tate and the bursts over St Pauls are some of the best photos I've ever taken.<BR><BR>When does the other new foot bridge open or has it already?

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Judy

I am so glad, it looks marvelous.<BR>Can't wait to try it!<BR>Judy

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 07:11 AM
kavey

Janis<BR>Are any of your travel photos online anywhere?<BR>Would love to see them...<BR>Kavey

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 07:32 AM
beth anderson

woohooo!<BR><BR>can't wait - I'll wobble my way across in about a month from now!<BR><BR>Beth

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 07:32 AM
AnnaC

Hi Janis - I'm confessing to ignorance of my own city here, but I don't know about another footbridge. Do you know whereabouts it is supposed to be?

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 07:39 AM
ron

Anna, I imagine its the new Hungerford footbridges she is talking about.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 07:49 AM
AnnaC

Ron - I think you could be right - I thought of that after I posted my message. Hadn't really thought of it as new as there's always been a footbridge there.<BR><BR>Anyone know when it's due to be finished though?

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 08:07 AM
ron

Anna, an article in the Sunday Times, Jan 06, suggested the Hungerford Bridges are due to open in late summer.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:53 AM
janis

kavey - not yet. I have thousands of pics of the UK - all 35 mm mostly prints, some slides.. I've just bought a new computer and will be getting a new scanner soon. After I convert some of them I'l look into putting some on line.<BR><BR>Ron and AnnaC - yep, I meant the Hungerford bridge. I knew it had already existed - in fact that's the one I used to walk over to the Tate on the night of the Fireworks. I haven't kept track but I seem remember that it was to be completely rebuilt and roofed over. Am I confusling it with another bridge?