Reload this Page >

With a car in the lake country of Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 10:39 AM
lorraine

should we be considering staying on the west side - near Tremezzo or Mennagio - rather than in Bellagio itself(we've narrowed it down to hotels there) or Varenna? Someone suggested it might be easier to take the ferry to Bellagio and Varenna because a car may be cumbersome in Bellagio. Does anyone have an opinion? Any suggestions for hotels in Tremezzo, Mennagio or Varenna? Thanks!!!

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 05:35 AM
francesca

I recommend that you forget a car in this area. First, it's unecessary because the boat transportation is efficient and very pleasant. Second, it is part of what makes the lake area so relaxing...no cars, no parking...no stress.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 11:52 AM
Bob

We had a car in Bellagio because we used it to drive there. We did not use it once there other than to drive to Lugano for the day. You have two ways to get to Bellagio. Drive up the east side and into town. That drive is a bear! Small one lane road, tight corners and trucks coming at you. Not recommended. The other way is to go up the west side and ferry across, either with your car or on foot. That is the best way to go. <BR> <BR>We stayed in Bellagio at the Belvedere. Nice hotel on the lake. I have no other ideas on other spots. We also laughed that about the time we became certified experts on how the ferry system worked, we had to leave with all that valuable information. Have fun, great area to visit.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 01:33 PM
Rex

No car in/around Lake Como? Can't imagine doing without one. It is true, you will often do fine without it, but how on earth will you get there if not by car? and so worthwhile to drive from point A to B. And no big deal taking a car by ferry over to Bellagio, if you wish. I took a seven passenger van, even down the smallest streets in Bellagio (one of my passengers was somewhat walking disabled) - and had no problem finding parking. <BR> <BR>Do not miss going to Villa d'Este (Cernobbio) and or Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni (Bellagio) - - or both - - (it just takes a second mortgage on your house) for dinner. <BR> <BR>Just came back from 4 nights at Grand Hotel Victoria in Menaggio. Had the worst rooms in the hotel (5th floor) which were still not bad, and much cheaper. I would recommend it heartily, in spite of this. Try to make the acquaintance of Danilo at dinner there (musical nights on Tues, Fri and Sun through September 24) - - as funny as Stephen Wright, and quite the charming entertainer. <BR> <BR>Do not miss Villa Balbianello. If you can afford it, hire out the hotel's boat for a day to get there and plenty of other places on the lake. <BR> <BR>Excellent enoteca (wine shop) in Tremezzo - l'Uva Golosa; I could go on and on. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 06:10 PM
jan

Rex, <BR>Thanks for the great input on the lakes. <BR>We leave Thur. for two weeks and plan to spend 4 days b/t Como and Maggiore. I have been looking for information such as yours. Sounds like fun. <BR>Thanks,jwg

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TTT
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 08:37 AM
rex

why topping this seven year old thread?
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 09:45 AM

Why? Because we'll be driving from Venice to Lake Como in April and I wanted to collect as much information as possible about cars in the lake country and remember where I found it.

As geography and driving distances haven't changed in the past 7 years, it seemed like a good posting to remember.

Perhaps I should have typed &quot;bookmarking&quot; instead but I didn't know the abbreviation for it.