Winter ghost towns in Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am moving to Spain in January for a few months,maybe more. I have searched the forums and know all about the weather at this time of the year. Malaga & Almeria seem to be the 'warmest' areas but the flights I am looking at only go to Valencia/Alicante. For this reason I have decided to stay in the Costa Blanca. I have heard in other forums that some beach towns are completely empty in the winter months and that some restaurants closed. Can anyone tell me which areas/towns are "still alive". I am not very familiar with the area. Only visited Barcelona,Valencia and Alicante 15 years ago. Loved those areas but I now have kids(10 & 11) and don't want to live in a big city. The map shows many towns down that coast. Denia , Calp, Campello, Torrevieja.Guardamar del Segura etc. I found some really nice places for rent in each town so any suggestions are welcome. We really just want a safe area with reasonably priced groceries and some shops. Something to do in the evenings, tapas bar, stroll on a beach or boardwalk, ice cream etc... Thank you
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 11:03 PM

Why do you not write on an expat forum?
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 11:07 PM

"completely closed" is an inaccurate statement.

I have been in the Malaga area in Dec/Jan and there are people there (the German and British pensioners will certainly be there). It's true that the tourist trap shops probably will not be open and many vacation rentals will not be renting but the important services (grocery stores and such) will be.

Have you considered hopping from one village to the next every 5-7 days and then picking the one you liked the best? That's what I would do.

Are you looking for a "white village" with a strong English expat presence? If not, what exactly are you looking for?
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 11:46 PM

I think your question related specifically to the Costa Blanca, and that, for some reason, therefore, the immediately previous response
was not helpful.

Perhaps the first response was, curt as it was.

From my experience over decades, the town of Altea a little south of Calpe might be what you are looking for.

It is an old town, and the history is fabulous, the scenery spectacular -- but it is also very much contemporary, a place for art, artists, and longtime residents, as well as young ex-pats & families.

Altea - Albir (a newer settlement) has a wonderful seafront prom.

Altea has lots of shops, cafes, restaurants, etc., as does Albir.

Altea is a working fishing port, has some luxury year-round hotels and clientele, lots of rentals. Lots of year-round activity.

It also has the mountains.

Benidorm is close, a little further south - for year-round shopping - and activities for the family.

Some excellent English schools - Elians in La Nucia is one.

Alicante is less than an hour by motorway. Again, for shopping (Corte Ingles, boutiques), and museums and cultural activities.

I'd think about Altea, if I were you.
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 11:55 PM

Friends of mine have a house in Orihuela Costa (near Torrevieja), very near the new shopping complex Zenia Boulevard. There's always something to do, also in the winter months. Many north Europeans have a second home there, especially to escape the cold winter months.

Alicante, Calpe, Benidorm (for the elderly people).

Torrevieja should be slightly warmer than Alicante/Calpe/Benidorm. It's on the Costa Calida (warm coast), that has a micro-climate.
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 01:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of the people who own their own places in the area are in Calpe, Altea, Moraira and Denia. They are the nicest of the small villages above Benidorm and while people did buy in the Torrevieja area, it's not pretty and having been there, I wouldn't choose to live or stay there.

Moraira is a bit more upmarket than the others, but they're all very nice and will be open for business in the winter.
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 01:42 AM

I think finding an English school for your children needs to be a priority, since you don't seem to be planning on moving permanently to Spain. If you are considering a permanent move then you will need to find a good Spanish school for them.
An expat forum, and there are plenty of them, will help you with finding suitable schooling for your children.

A few restaurants will close for the winter, but I dont think these places turn into ghost towns Spaniards still live there and need shops and restaurants.

Do you speak Spanish?
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 01:45 AM

***Perhaps the first response was, curt as it was.***
Yep, that is correct. Just go straight to the point is the way I post.
The question(s) gave away nothing either on the posters background.
An expat forum can tell you all about the legalities of moving to Spain for a few months.
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 02:19 AM

I will see for myself, Rubicund. We'll be there (in Cabo Roig and in Moraira) next March. We'll be looking for a place to spend a few months in the fall and the early spring.
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 06:23 AM

Why not Malaga - I've been there in December/January and its been warm and sunny? There is a lovely promenade around La Carhuela to take a long walk and many of the restaurants are open. It hasn't got crowds of Brits that time of year.
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I did not think I needed to mention my background nor do I seek immigration advice. I am simply looking for suggestions from others who know this area.I looked up Altea and it looks wonderful. Not sure why it never showed up on my condo search. Can it be because it is an upmarket neighborhood? I would have loved to spend a few days in each town while we decide on a place but unfortunately with 2 children and 2 cats in tow, that is unthinkable. Torrevieja seems to have the most choice for condos and at a very reasonable price.Is it really that unpretty? I know the concrete towers of Benidorm are not what we are looking for. Is Torrevieja similar?
I would love a townhouse with small garden, walk to a couple of restaurants,bars,beach,friendly neighbors, some kids around...is there such a place? We speak some spanish although there is definitely room to improve.
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 11:25 PM

@mizlondon
As you, I don't want to stay in a concrete tower in Benidorm or in a big town as Alicante. Therefore I had been looking at a different area and my friend suggested Cabo Roig, south of Torrevieja. Check https://www.homeaway.co.uk/ for townhouses in Cabo Roig or Orihuela Costa. Plenty of townhouses are offered for rent. Knowing my friend, it can't be a bad area to stay in.
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 12:23 AM

You do need to say what is your personal situation as it can affect advice.
You have to abide by the laws of the country you wish to move to.
Things like long-term rental have to be done legally and for that, you have to register, but you cannot register if you do not have the right permissions. Homeschooling or keeping your children out of school is illegal in Spain. Heaven forbid something goes wrong whilst you are here and it is found you have kept children away from school it will have grave consequences on the family.