Search

Winter coat for Freiburg U. student ???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter coat for Freiburg U. student ???

Hi everybody!

My son will be spending the semester (Jan-May) in Germany! I'd love to get him the "right" winter jacket as a Christmas present. Any suggestions? What coats are cool, yet warm, for the Black Forest student this year? Any elves out there with advice?!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 09:16 AM

Get him a 3-in-1 rainproof outdoor jacket with a fleece lining that can be zipped off. In winter he will need the jacket with lining, from March to May he can do with a rain jacket without lining or wear the fleece thing alone as a jacket when it is chilly but dry.
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 11:25 AM

The "reasonable" choice is what quokka wrote. Though even in March and April it still can be freezing at night or in the morning/evening hours.
Nevertheless, down jackets with hoods with fake fur are still very much the fashion. Even though they are not too useful when it rains and are often a bit too warm.
It should be more practical, though, i.e. include gore-tex outside and a zip-out interior fleece softshell jacket, if he wants to do some winter sports in the mountains near Freiburg or hop down to Switzerland for some skiing as the snow is much more wet here than in the Rockies.
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 01:32 PM

I suggest a black leather jacket, a sweater, gloves, and a scarf. Freiburg is in the south of Germany and will not get extremely cold. I lived through two winters in Aschaffenburg. It was surprisingly mild compared to Michigan. I wear my leather bomber jacket here from November to March.
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 03:04 PM

I lived through 43 winters in Germany, and while there have been ones that only required a leather jacket, I would not bet one euro on the next one to be that mild.
Freiburg is somewhat of a mild spot, but that does not keep the temperatures from dropping below freezing.
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Give him MONEY. When he GETS over there and sees what the other students are actually WEARING then he can make the appropriate choice and unlike any ADULT recommendations in terms of what is "cool" what he chooses will BE dictated by what is actually being worn.
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 10:16 PM

I lived through 45 winters in Germany and I live one hour from Freiburg. The climate in Freiburg is the mildest in Germany, nevertheless something like -10°C or even less at night in winter is well possible. He won't stay in Freiburg but he will want to go up into the Black Forest or even the Alps in winter. And they do have rain there, too. He needs a jacket that meets the requirements of the climate and allows flexibility, i.e. a piece that is useful during all his stay. Outdoor clothing is worn everywhere and by everyone in Germany - we are practical people. I am repeating the recommendation in my first post, forgot to mention it should be Gore-Tex or similar.
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi everybody! Thanks so much for your input.
Quokka, will a 3-in-1 be warm enough? I was thinking down, since he will be travelling to the Alps and Prague.
Dukey, you are probably right, but I think it would be such a perfect Christmas present.
Does anybody recommend a particular brand?
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

How about one of these? Any 20-somethings out there who can give an opinion?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70903?feat=506673-GN3

http://www.backcountry.com/the-north...rrProd=TNF4651

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Y3NVBU/...peakofaddic-20

http://www.rei.com/product/814302/re...un-jacket-mens

http://www.rei.com/product/809225/pa...ff-jacket-mens