Winery visits?

Sep 13th, 2019, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Winery visits?

Hello. I'm leaving Sunday for my first trip to Italy. The trip includes four nights in Salo, on Lake Garda, and two nights in Verona. Although we already have found more things to do than we can possibly fit in, I was wondering about a winery visit. Do any of you know of wineries near Salo? And how do visits work -- can we just drop in?

Thanks, as always, for your help.
Sep 13th, 2019, 09:57 AM

Hello,

"And how do visits work -- can we just drop in?"

I don't think that's a good idea, especially in September when they're busy with the grape harvest.

What do you hope to see in a winery anyway? Do you know anything about winemaking? Let's just say, it looks far more boring than a car factory.

Just find a good enoteca and try as many wines from different wineries as you wish. Don't waste your time with a winery.
Sep 13th, 2019, 04:33 PM

No, you dont' just drop in. It's not Napa Valley, it's not "Sideways," and it's the vendemmi, so they're busy and not the least interested in you. Go to a local enoteca.
Sep 16th, 2019, 02:40 AM

Sure you can....

Sorry buy both answers are wrong. Living on the lake i can tell you that you can drop in in most of the wineries even if it's harvest time.

Most of them offer free tasting and you can buy wine on site.

If you stay in SalÚ you can easily reach five great wine growing regions:
-) the nearest is Franciacorta, best spakling wine in Italy.
-) the Lugana region (white wine) on the south coast of Garda Lake between Sirmione and Peschiera del Garda
-) the Bardolino region (white and pink wines) on the east coast of Garda lake
-) the Valpolicella (red wines) on the hills north of Verona (also fanous for cheeses...)
-) the Soave region, west of Verona in the small city of Soave and surroundings.

Even Soave which is the fartest can be reached in one hour by car...

Enjoy the wine!.
Sep 17th, 2019, 01:52 AM

Hi Paolo,

Cheers, for correcting us! Local knowledge is hard to beat!

I'm glad to hear that you can just drop in for wine tasting anytime. Do you know if this applies to Italy in general or confined to this region?

That said, I think the OP should still start with a good enoteca, sample wines from different wineries so that he can decide which one could be worth a trip and I'm sure that calling ahead couldn't hurt if only to establish that they speak enough English to make the visit smooth and meaningful.
Sep 17th, 2019, 02:48 AM

It certainly depends on the winery, and wineries that welcome visitors are less common in some regions than others. Where I live, there aren't many foreign tourists and most wineries wouldn't be able to offer you a tour even if they wanted to.

However, it's certainly true, as mentioned above, that if you're a wine lover, or even if you just want to become acquainted with Italian wines, a good enoteca is a better place to visit. They will encourage you to taste wines from various vineyards and to appreciate the differences.

You can search for "vineyard tours [region]" or "enoteca wine tasting [region]" to find appropriate places to visit. You can go to the websites that pop up to see if they offer anything that interests you.
Sep 17th, 2019, 03:29 AM

It may be too late for the OP, but Franciacorta has fantastic wines (if you like sparkling) and lots of estates that welcome visitors. It might be better to give them a call first. You can have a look at various wineries and other options here - https://www.franciacorta.net/en/
You can even click a box "wineries open today" on this website...

Going to a winery isn't always about looking at barrels and tanks. It is also about seeing the vineyard views and talking one on one with winemakers and staff. Going to an enoteca is great, but there is something about being at a winery, especially during harvest.. the smells, tasting the fresh juice, etc that can be far from boring.
Sep 17th, 2019, 06:05 AM

That may be, but by mid-September even my "best-friend" winemakers here in the Bergerac region are far too busy to shoot the breeze with me in the vineyards.They have serious work to do and aren't wanting to deal with casual tourists. At all. Perhaps things differ in other regions and countries.
Sep 17th, 2019, 07:37 AM

Some wineries make more money from tourism than they do from wine, so it pays them to hire extra people to handle that aspect of the business.
Sep 17th, 2019, 12:16 PM

Just as an FYI, we stayed at a b&b and working winery in Piemonte in early October last year, and it offered tours for tourists. We got ours free because we stayed there. Others in the area also offered tours, and the guy who led us on our white truffle hunt had tastings at his winery.