Wine tasting in Paris

Search

Wine tasting in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wine tasting in Paris

Is there wine tasting in Paris? We do not want to take a day trip for wine tasting.

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 04:11 AM
ira

Hi

If you enter "wine bar Paris" on www.google.com you will get a number of recommendations for places to taste.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira, I will look into that site
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:36 AM

When will you be going? In December, for example, the gourmet grocer Fauchon's has free champagne tastings--a different champagne every day.
Angers, France (1.5 hours from Paris by TGV), is worth a day trip--the city is attractive, the medieval castle is interesting, famous for its tapestries, and there is a Maison du Vin right across the street where you can taste a variety of Loire Valley wines (for free). A nice combined sightseeing/wine tasting day trip (plus a chance to hear the most perfect French in France; a poll of French language experts said the people in Angers speak the *best* French in the country--and they clean up after their dogs, too!)
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Hi BT
We will be in Paris Oct. 25 through Nov. 1st.
I will do a search on Angers, France.
Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 01:13 PM

There is a wine museum in Paris, also (near Passy metro stop) and they have various events and wine tastings. That might be fun and suit your purpose--one would hope they'd do a good job, but I haven't done it. Here is their URL with their events:

http://www.museeduvinparis.com/gbmusee/
prestations/p1.htm

There are lots of good wine bars, in Paris, of course. Most offer some food, but you will be able to try different wines and they should have a bigger variety than other places. A few well-known ones are Juveniles near the Palais-Royal (this is same owner as Willi's Wine Bar, I think, which is also in the 1st arr--that's probably the most popular one in Paris); Sancerre at 27, ave Rapp (7th arr); Jacques Melac near the Charonne metro stop in the 11th; and there is a "chain" of wine bars named L'Ecluse which are not bad from what I've read (the maine one at 15 quai des Grands-Augustins in the 6th. You probably can't go wrong with Willi's or Sancerre.

I took an evening wine tasting seminar with a girlfriend which was run by the Ritz. This was great, and wasn't that expensive given some of the wines we had were a couple hundred dollars a bottle, as I recall. They taught about the wines (I think the session we had focused on those from Bordeaux), best wine glasses, etc. We got little Ritz, Paris pencils to take home which I can casually leave around the coffee table.

So, you might check their calendar of various classes, as I think that could be fun (mine was really good). www.ritzparis.com

I see they have a class called "evening with a vintner" and a workshop on pairing wine with food, both which could be good and they aren't that expensive considering.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

topping