Notices

Wine in Tuscany

Old May 8th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wine in Tuscany

Hi all,

I am spending 2.5 weeks in Tuscany and Umbria with my husband and daughter, with 7 days of that on a winery.

My husband is very into wine and I would love to organise a surprise for him - I am looking for a unique, special wine experience and online it us hard to decipher what actually is and what isn't- as they all say they are unique!

I would love a personal touch with tasting a number of different wines, cellar tour, doesn't need to include food, but maybe tasting plates?

If you know of something please let me know!!

Cheers
Anna
Old May 8th, 2015, 05:18 PM

Tuscany and Umbria are big places. Where are you actually staying?
Old May 8th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

We are staying in Florence for 5 days, on a winery in chianti for 7 days, Montepulciano for 3 days and Spoleto for 3 days...
Old May 9th, 2015, 02:59 AM

You are staying in MOntepulciano and on a winery.... why not just get the hotels/winery to organise something, looks like you've already done a great job.
Old May 9th, 2015, 04:01 AM

Hi Anna
My husband I were in Tuscany for 5 nights in Sept last year and visited the Altesino winery http://www.altesino.it/eng/azienda.php and loved it.
We organised a private tour with just the 2 of us and had wine tastings afterwards which included a cheese, meats and breads platter (there was so much of it and it was very tasty). Ilaria was our host and she was fantastic.
We would definitely recommend it.
Thanks.
Narelle
Old May 9th, 2015, 04:08 AM

If he enjoys wine, I would organize something to Montalcino (not that far from Montepulciano or even Chianti) unless you are already planning to visit. You can taste the Brunello or Super Tuscan wines at the Fortezza or quite a few other places in town. If not the town, one of the Montalcino vineyards as views are really great in the area. Although it seems you have the least time in Montepulciano area (3 hotel nights would give you 2 full days).

In Spoleto area, try something in or near Montefalco for the Sagrantino wines.

If you want a private tasting, there are quite a few you can book in Florence as a day trip (the tourist board has lists). You can hire a driver to take you around for a day such as Luca at Hills and Roads. Many of the drivers have arrangements with vineyards and can set up a private experience.
Old May 10th, 2015, 09:55 AM

if you'd like to learn more about Umbrian wines, contact Gusto Wine Tours. We just did a daylong tour with them. We visited three small wineries and had lunch at a gorgeous agroturismo. It's an intimate experience as most of the wineries Gusto visits are small producers. Mark, the guide, is knowledgeable and passionate about the region and its wines. The wines themselves are lovely.
Old May 12th, 2015, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I have added The Fortress onto our itinerary!

I will look into the others now!
Old May 13th, 2015, 12:15 PM

Here's the website for the Fortezza. I think their wine tasting is a bit cheaper than some of the other places in town. YOu can also go on top of the Fortezza (fee).

http://www.enotecalafortezza.com/english/index.php

I like Enoteca Osticcio for the views. Get a table in front of the window (click on visita to see the view), select some wine samples and snacks. I've had food there several times and it's been good, but portions are small.

http://www.osticcio.it/

In Montefalco, L'Alchimista is on the main piazza. Their website isn't very good, but here's a couple of reviews. I've never had a full meal, only snacks and wine to enjoy the piazza, but most reviews about food seem to be good.

http://www.brigolante.com/blog/2013/...nt-montefalco/

http://www.elizabethminchilliinrome....in-montefalco/