Reload this Page >

Wine festivals in Rhineland in September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:03 AM
Bob

In September 2003 we'll be traveling by car to Rudesheim, Trier, Kaiserlautern and the Rhine River area. I see from a travel magazine that Bad Durkheim has an annual September Wurstmarket celebrating wine, sausages, etc. Where can I get information on September festivals in the Rhine River area providing locations, dates, etc.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:27 AM
anissa

Bob,<BR>We used to go to Bad Durkheim every year when we lived over there - be prepared for fun and LOTS of wine - if memory serves they serve it up in LARGE glasses. Make sure you get one of the toy hammers that they sell - they have squeakers in them and everyone starts hitting everyone over the head with them in time with the music. Have to be there. I think that this festival was the second weekend of the month of Sept if memory serves.<BR><BR>The other FUN wine fest - for all ages is Bernkastel-Kues. It is near Trier and is ALWAYS Labour Day weekend. Not only do they have loads of wine, but they have oompah bands, a carnival for the kids, lots of yummy food (try the Schwinkbraten!), and that night they reinact the fight between the villagers and the castle with fireworks - prob the best fireworks show you will ever see. We always camped on the little spit of land that juts out in the Rhine and then during the fireworks show we would go to the end of the spit and watch the fireworks right over head. But you have to reserve early for that! <BR><BR>I don't know of any websites specifically, but imagine that if you go to the offical site for Germany they will have links to festival dates etc. Any of the fests are fun and you can't go wrong!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Julie

<BR>Try this link.<BR>http://www.rlp-info.de/statisch.htm<BR>Click on the e-mail link and send them a mail. I am sure they will be able to provide you with the info. It seems there is a wine festival in Bad Durkheim from the middle to the end of Sept. 2003. <BR><BR>You can also search 2003 in the section called "Veranstaltungen"

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 03:07 AM
Russ

I was at the Bad D&uuml;rkheim festival about 25 years ago and remember it as a fun time.<BR><BR>There will probably be a wine fest every weekend in September in the Middle Rhine and Mosel towns. This site has a couple of fireworks shows (often the culminating event at the wine festivals) for Sept. 2003 up already - Oberwesel has a wine market going on 9/13, it appears. Boppard will undoubtedly have a weinfest near the end of the month (usually on 2 consecutive weekends.)<BR><BR>www.firework.rhine-river.com/

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:21 PM
Susan

Just returned from Germany and we were in Oberwesel for their annual wine festival 9/13/02 and also the Rhein in Flames, had a wonderful time. Lots of white wines from that area. Also, they had a wonderful parade featuring the vinyards participating on Sunday the 15th, homemade floats pulled by tractors, marching bands, local school children. Wonderful. Reserve your room early as it's very hard to get accomodations during this time. We stayed at the Hotel Romerkrug in Oberwesel.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:10 PM
anissa

oops, that would be Bernkastel-Kues on the MOSEL, not Rhine. And do make room reservations on the river(s) early (Feb may be too late). You definitely don't want to have to drive home...