Wine/culinary trip to Italy

Feb 12th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Original Poster

Wine/culinary trip to Italy

My fiancee and I are talking about a trip to Italy for our one year anniversary in May of 2008. Probably would have considered honeymoon if we had thought of this idea sooner. In any case... we both enjoy wine and food, (My fiancee is starting culinary school in the fall.) and thought that we might enjoy a culinary class or wine tour on our trip. Any suggestions?
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:12 AM

My suggestion is to try in Piedmont (Piemonte in Italian), the areas called Langhe or Monferrato. Wines from Piemonte are known all around the world and food is very nice. There are several occasions for culinary classes, lasting from a weekend to a school year.
You can find some ideas trying this link:
www.inpiemont.it
As for wine tour the offer is so wide...
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:02 AM
ira

Hi J,

In Florence,

www.divinacucina.com/

www.accidentaltourist.com

Also see www.slowtrav.com

Feb 12th, 2007, 04:08 AM

There are dozens, of not hundreds, of cooking schools in Italy. You will get more valuable responses if you tell us where you are planning to travel and the duration of the course you would like to take...one day, one week?

Just as an example, here is one in Bologna:

http://www.lavecchiascuola.com/amateur_cooking.html

You also might like to look into the homecooks program where you pay a fixed amount and have dinner prepared by the "housewife" in the home of an Italian family.

Feb 13th, 2007, 08:53 AM

hi isu_steph should we be worried that you are talking about a "one year aniversary" in May 2008 (it is not yet May 2007!)
Feb 13th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Another option in Tuscany with food, wine, and olive oil tours as well as classes:

http://www.vinaio.com/

Take a look at the listings in the Shaw Guide site, like this one: The options are endless:

http://cookforfun.shawguides.com/giulianobugialli/

I think you need to narrow down your destinations first; then investigate classes. And you must decide upon the length of the classes you want to take..one day only or a few days, a week, what?

Feb 14th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's input. Clarification we are getting married in May 2007, but have been talking about taking a short get away then and for our one year anniversary taking a more memorable trip. If we would have thought of this sooner and saved some extra money I think we would have gone to Italy for our honeymoon. I think we would like to visit Tuscany so I will for sure check out the information on this area. This is a very new brainstorm so as we find ideas I think we will find what suits our needs from there. Thanks to everyone!
Feb 15th, 2007, 10:51 AM

If you are traveling to Umbria and Amalfi coast you can really try to contact Velia ( our cooking Teacher and guide)through her website www.veliascookingstyle.com
www.veliascookingstyle.blogspot.com
She organized our culinary and wine tour through Umbria and the wonderful Amalfi Coast ( where she spent almost 10 years ). We had lot of fun cooking, drinking and visiting the most enchanting places.
Velia owns a cute champagne bar located in Orvieto City centre just behind the Duomo/cathedral.

We enjoyed also the wonderful experiences shared with locals...not to be missed!
Apr 11th, 2007, 11:42 AM

bookmarking
Apr 12th, 2007, 10:43 PM

Italy means food; Food in Italy means BOLOGNA!!!!

Come to my city!!!