wine country in winter?

Dec 31st, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

wine country in winter?

My friend and I are going to Hungary next week and will be in Budapest for a few days. We then have a few extra days and thought we'd go up to wine counry near Eger/Tokay. My question--does anyone know if wine cellars, restaurants, etc. are open in the winter? We are a little concerned we will be too "off season." Also any hotel or restaurant recommendations for northern wine country or Budapest would be much appreciated!
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:49 PM

I looked on the eger online website:
http://www.egeronline.com/guide/attractions.php

and there are a few museums open...but now all it does seem to be quieter until March 1st.

Maybe sticking around Budapest would be better and going to the wine museum in Buda or the wine tasting room in Szentendre would be a better option for January. There are tons of hotels and restaurants you may want to post a seperate request for those and specify exactly the style you want and the monies you want to spend.

Have a great time!
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Finally, a response! Thank you very much gregeva. We were starting to wonder what we did wrong when the headshop request got more replies. We will definitely check out your link. We haven't yet checked out szentendre, but will do so now. We were finding all the planning to be fun (we are going to Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Eger area, and somewhere [tbd] in Romania), but are getting REALLY overwhelmed. Time for more posts or perhaps a travel agent...thanks again.
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:13 PM

huntsand,

You can also check out this website for visits to Tokaj. We're heading there in April so I'd love to hear what you find out!

http://www.tokaj.com/
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lori, We hadn't discovered that website. I will post the "off season" report when I get back, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of info (with good reason) about winter offerings in the area. Sandy

Search this Thread