Windsor, Wren's hotel. Where to eat?

Apr 17th, 2002, 08:30 PM
belle

Windsor, Wren's hotel. Where to eat?

I'm new to this amazing message board system.Someone very nicely gave me a recommendation for the Sir Christopher Wren's hotel in Windsor, which I have booked.
We don't want to eat in their dining room; sounds a bit stuffy. Any wonderful dinner place either in Windsor, or in Eton?
Many thanks, whoever you are.

Apr 17th, 2002, 10:49 PM
Leslie

Was just in Windsor in February. Saw the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and it looked very nice...you'll be pleased.

Meanwhile, we ate at a very nice pub restaurant near there called The Royal Oak (dining area and pub are separate but adjacent)..the food what quite gourmet, for England and the bill was 38 pounds (inc. tip) for two, including glasses of wine and dessert. It's on Datchet Road. Our B & B host recommended it and we were quite pleased, including our view of the castle while we dined. We enjoyed seeing chaps in blazers and ties (Eton boys?). Also, there is a very interesting live playhouse very close buy.

Apr 18th, 2002, 01:35 AM
JOdy

We stay there all the time when we fly into heathrow and are picking up a car. wait till you see the breakfast!!

Our favorite restaurant is nearby but I cannot remember the name.. but I'll tell you haow to get there!

As you come out the front door of hotel turn right, go to the first street and cross street , turn right again, and it on the next corner.! wonderful seafood and Italian specialties and not expensive..you'll be the only tourists there. Stay away from the places on the High Street! I swear the next time I go I am looking at the name!

Apr 18th, 2002, 06:57 AM
belle

thank you both for your enthusiastic endorsements of the hotel and your restaurant recommendation(s)? I'll take the instructions along.

have a great day!

Apr 18th, 2002, 07:56 AM
David White

Belle,

The Sir Christopher Wren's House Hotel is in a great location, just along the Thames, next to the pedestrian bridge that goes across to Eton. I can vouch for having tea in the hotel's Orangarie Restaurant.

Be sure to explore Eton--not that it will take you too long, but there are some interesting pubs, shops, etc. in this tiny riverside town. Don't have a particular pub recommendation though...Windsor, unfortunately, has some fast food restaurants just outside the castle walls, so that tells you where NOT to go!

Take a look at this website:

http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/windsor/

It has some good info on Windsor (and a picture of the the Wren House Hotel is right on the main page)

Enjoy

David White
http://www.KidsToLondon.com

Apr 18th, 2002, 03:17 PM
curt

A pub I have eaten in several times in Windsor is quite good. Do not recall name right now, but is just south of castle right at the entrance gate to the great park. From castle gate walk down the street south and you will find it. Seems to be a pretty local place, not too many tourists in there. Very good pub grub.

Apr 18th, 2002, 04:16 PM
John G

Since my Aunt Pat and Uncle Terry, not to mention, Cousins Sonia and Mandy, live in Old Windsor, I will recommend to you the Union Inn at Crimp Hill. There also was another great restaurant called the Bells of Ouzelly in Old Windsor, which was along the Thames. Since I haven't been there in over 10 years I don't know if it is still in business. The Union Inn has absolutely delicious vegetables which the owner grows in his own garden. I can honestly say that his carrots are the best I have ever eaten anywhere in the world.

These places are not stuffy, as my relatives are fun people.

Apr 19th, 2002, 04:18 AM
ttt

ttt

Apr 28th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Donna

We were in Windsor in April. We loved the Drury House http://www.druryhouse.royal-windsor.com/ Food and service were great--if the weather is nice you can eat outside in the courtyard. It was probably the best meal of our trip.

Apr 28th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Wayne

If you go out the back of the hotel right on the banks of the Thames and look across the river, there is a good restaurant on the other side, opposite Christopher Wren's. I just can't remember the name. Also, we have eaten dinner at Wren's a couple of times and found the food to be quite good. (And we always join them for high tea.) Have a good trip.