Windsor castle plus one day trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2014, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! I'm planning to go to Windsor castle and another tourist attraction but not sure what to combine the Windsor castle with? I've booked a tour going to Salisbury- Bath-Stonehenge so they're not among my choices. I plan to go to Windsor by public transport so if you can suggest an attraction that's easily reached by bus or train after Windsor , I do appreciate it. Thanks!
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 02:40 AM

JAZZIE, how long will you be in London and have you been there before?
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 05:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you mean something else to see the same day you visit Windsor? If so -- nothing really. From London to Windsor and back will take most of the day. The train rides, the castle, lunch, wandering around the town a bit, maybe some shopping and you'll be lucky to be back in town by 5 PM But if you just do the castle and nothing else - and rush a bit - you might make it back to London by mid afternoon. So you might be able to squeeze in seeing something in the city.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 05:54 AM

I suggest you twin Eton, the town just across the Thames bridge from Windsor Castle and Windsor Town - home of tony Eton College - though apparently college quads themselves are largely now off-limits the High Street is lined with old facades and has some neat old pubs - plus you can see the spiffily attired Eton lads prancing about.

One other site that is easily combined with Windsor is a visit to Runnymede, just a short bus ride from Windsor - I actually walked there from Windsor Castle once - up thru the Great Windsor Park - but a several mile walk.

But Runnymede - though its simplicity may disappoint some - is easily combined IME with Windsor. There is also a memorial to John F Kennedy on the grounds:

https://www.google.com/search?q=runn...w=1455&bih=978
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 06:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Eton is mostly a no-go, and Runnymede is IMO very meh . . . but it is essentially <i>in</i> Windsor - only about 3 miles from the Castle so a reasonable walk or a short bus ride from central Windsor.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 08:33 AM

Eton is mostly a no-go,>

No go to Eton - it is not a no-go no man's land like janis make sit sound - yes the college itself - its buildings and quads are closed off now for security they say but the main street in town is very interesting and some of the ancient pubs even more so - do take a walk thru Eton - see the rich future PMs walking around in the formal attire - do not miss a few minute stroll in Eton - not a no go but IMO a must go!
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 09:23 AM

We had a really pleasant day visiting Windsor Castle and the surrounding area, strolling to Eton and back, having a cream tea in a tea shop, and taking a boat ride on the Thames. St George's Chapel was the highlight of my day.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:23 AM

I had been to Winsdor Castle, Stonehenge and Bath in last May, all covered in one day trip through a conducted tour programme. It was not bad at all. It will otherwise be difficult for us to cover all these places in one day individually.
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses!�� so we might as well do Windsor castle and Eton... That should take up a full day then.
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

To answer latedaytraveler---this is my first time in Europe and in less than 2 weeks, me and my family will be traveling. I'm soooo excited!������☺️��
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 11:59 AM

Thank you all for the responses!�� so we might as well do Windsor castle and Eton... That should take up a full day then.>

It could but it need not - but if you want to explore one of the finest pedestrian shopping streets I have seen in Britain - all the famous stores in a compact area or have lunch in a pub or one of the many restaurants in the town center...

or poke around the main Windsor central train station - last time I was there there was some royal train or royal carriage on show, etc. then yes - Windsor apart from the castle is a very real regional town - much of it tourists who flock to the castle never really explore -

walks along the Thames are cool too! Or a stroll in the Windsor Great Park - go up the main footpath to the top of the hill and you get a sweet view of Windsor Castle down below in all its majesty (now if it weren't for those incessant jets and their noise going to and fro nearby Heathrow...

But if you just want to see the castle and poke around Eton it could be a half do or at least not a full day.

a lot of folks here say Windsor is not that great and Hampton Court a much better royal palace and to me as such it is - but Hampton Court is a relatively isolated place - though there is a small village there it is not a vibrant real town like Windsor is...

A whole day there is something way difference than a London where tourists seem to out number locals - Windsor is in many ways a real English regional town. It is one of my favorite places and the imposing castle and Great Park, languid Thames, posh Eton just make it a fantastic day out.
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 09:07 AM

Perhaps a silly question, but is Windsor Great Park always open to walkers? (If the Royal Family decides to go for a horse ride, etc...)
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 09:23 AM

I've strolled thru Windsor Great Park many times - there are what I believe to be public footpaths, a hallowed tradition in Britain - I think it would be rare to close it all off - it is so big and you will see folks on the equestrian trails.
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 09:29 AM

Thank you PalenQ. That walk is now on my list for next time.
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 11:19 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=wind...w=1455&bih=978

as you can see there are broad avenues and what you can't see are under the trees lining those broad main avenues that shoot straight up from the castle to the equestrian statue on top of the hill there are also paths under the trees - cows are running around at points and if I recall correctly deer too.

I think a walk in the park is too what Windsor offers and sets it apart from other castle towns.