Windsor Castle

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 09:09 AM
Lorraine

Windsor Castle

Has anyone been recently? It is an all day tour? can anyone recommend a good tour group?
How far outside London is it?

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 09:28 AM
elaine

Hi I haven't been very recently, but I've been a couple of times and I believe the following is correct info.

First websites
www.royal.gov.uk
www.the-royal-collection.org.uk

It's quite easy to get to Windsor Castle from London on your own:
Train from Paddington Station takes about 30 minutes, transferring at Slough.
There is a Tourist Information Centre across from Windsor Castle on High Street, and another one at Windsor Coach Park.
Last admission is one hour before closing. Family tickets are available. The castle is closed to the public for periods in April, June, and Dec when the royal family is in residence.
The Windsor Castle Changing of the Guard takes place Monday through Saturday from May to August at 11am; in winter it is every other day Monday through Saturday. To check on the ceremony schedule, go to the website.
Don't miss a visit to St. George's Chapel on the Castle grounds.
If you go on on your own there is a sightseeing route that you have to follow and that lets you see many of the public rooms and also the background on the extensive restoration following the fire of several years ago.
If you have time, the grounds are very pleasant to walk around, as is the town of Windsor.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:12 PM
Susan

We were just in Windsor last week. We were on a family trip with our kids (11, 14). We took the train from Waterloo to Windsor. It was very easy and once in Windsor we just walked to the castle and then took the audio tour. After the tour we had lunch in a wonderful pub and then took the train back to London. We were on about an 10:00 train to Windsor (if I remember correctly) and we were back in London later in the afternoon.
The audio tour was worthwhile. It had a lot of information. My kids complained because they thought that it was an information overload. I have to admit it was very, very talky. We had just come from Paris and the audio tour was much more quickly paced at Versailles.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:30 PM
ChristineA

We did a tour of Windsor last week... it was wonderful. We actually purchased an allday tour - Windsor Castle in the morning and Hampton Court in the afternoon.. the only problem was that *OOPS* we missed the tour bus AND the tour to Hampton court.. (obviously this was our fault since nobody else was left oh well!!)...But we didn't use an audio tour or anything.. just wandered around, no big crowds..We were there on Monday the 18th; Princess Margaret's funeral had been on Friday and the flowers were still there.. very poignant; also very impressive that the castle is still used as a residence; and for a big old ancient historic thing it seemed more inviting and warm than you'd imagine...it's 28 miles outside london and you can get yourself there and spend as much time as you like. Windsor, the town, isn't just a Disneylandish fairy-tale place, altho very charming it's a real city. You can return to the castle grounds if you want to go out for lunch; just stop and ask for a plastic wrist band so you can pop back in. We loved it.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:35 PM
janis

There is no need to do a "tour" of Windsor. it is a quick cheap train trip from London and the station is just steps from the castle walls. The small guide book is all you really need.

(The audio guides are probably too "talky" for some people - but if you use one, you can always fast forward through bits that don't interest you.)

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:55 PM
Simone

If you are staying in the western part of London (Hammersmith, Chiswick, etc), just take the tube to Richmond and pick up the train there.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:40 AM
Kerryanne

We are intending to visit Warwick Castle on June 20th, does anyone know if this is one of days it will be closed with the Royal family in residence? If so, we will re-arrange our visit for mid May.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:11 AM
Ellen

Kerry, Warwick will not be closing for any royal occupation.

http://www.warwick-castle.co.uk/your...formation.html

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:16 AM
elaine

Kerryanne
I believe that if you check the websites listed above one of them will have a calendar of events

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:37 AM
janis

Hi - Kerryanne. I am sure you mistyped and meant Windsor on the 20th not Warwick. Windosr seldom closes - even if the Queen is in residence. You go through the inner ward, the state apartments, St Georges, etc - all of which are quite removed from the private apartments and gardens. Occassionally - like for Princess Margaret's funeral - the castle may be closed.