Search

Vatican area

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:46 AM
kt

Vatican area

Is any one familiar with hotels and the neighborhoods around the Vatican? In specific, the area between Castel S. Angelo and the Vatican along the wall. Are there shops, restaurants? Is it an area for families to stay? We have heard of an area where ther are a lot of street people and are wondering if that is the case in this area. We would appreciate any help/advise on the Vatican area.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:29 AM
Sally

We always stay in the Vatican area. We are going in a few weeks and staying at the Adriatic which is close to some nice restaurants and within a couple of blocks of St. Peter's. We have also stayed at Columba, right by St. Peter's but a little expensive, and Hotel Alimandi, nice, but not as convenient as the Adriatic. I think all these hotels have web sites. We saw no street people- all was very peaceful. We enjoyed being in an area where you could run over to see St. Peter's again when you had a little extra time; also we enjoyed walking around St. Peter's at night in the moonlight.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:04 AM
Pat Klontz

We have also stayed in the Vatican area at Alimandi. The area is pleasant, and we never felt unsafe there day or night. It is a great location for seeing the Vatican and Castel S. Angelo, of course, but not particularly convenient for other sites. The metro is an easy walk from Alimandi, but it was always terribly crowded day and night. There were nice restaurants and shops nearby. You can walk to the city center from the Vatican area, but you will need to be in good shape and have great shoes. PJK

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:19 AM
Lee

KT, we didn't stay in that area, opting for an apartment at 'B&B Le Terrazze' on Via Lattanzio, about ten blocks north of the Vatican. We did frequent that area though, during the day and in the evening and never felt uncomfortable. The closest metro stop is the Vatican stop about five blocks north of the wall between St. Peter's and Castel Saint' Angelo. The area you mention has many shops, mainly for tourists, but some for locals as well. There is also quite a few restaurants near the Vatican and we didn't have one bad meal in eight days there. <BR><BR>I have a photo that I took of a small girl taking a drink from a running fountain near the wall in the late afternoon on a sunny day. She was on her tip toes just reaching the fountain and it was oddly one of my better photos. Rome is a great city.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:37 AM
Sally

My family also stayed at the Alimandi. It is right at the foot of the steps to the Vatican. Safe feeling, clean, nice rooms, great breakfast and reasonable price. Friendly staff. Other than the Vatican though, it is not close to anything else. Here's the website:<BR>http://www.emmeti.it/Welcome/Lazio/R.../index.uk.html

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:45 AM
sandi

We stayed at the Hotel Spring House (Via Mocenigo, 7) just blocks from the Vatican. The hotel was pretty nice but the rooms were plain. It is about $160.00 (US) for 3 of us.