Wimbledon Tickets

Search

Wimbledon Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wimbledon Tickets

We are in England for a short period of time during the tournament. Our plan may allow for a trip to Wimbledon on 24 June. We have no tickets....can we get a general "grounds" pass (at the gate) which would allow for us to watch some matches on the outer courts? We are really as much interested in soaking up the atmosphere as much as watching the tennis. We would probably not get there early in the morning, but probably sometime mid-afternoon? Is that a better time to go? Is there still a way to get into the facility at that time?..any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thre is some quite detailed info on the following official site.
http://aeltc.wimbledon.org/en_GB/abo...ets/index.html

I don't think you have too much of a problem providing
a) you don't want to see action on the main courts
b) Tim Henman isn't playing.

I believe there are frequent special trains from Waterloo to Wimbledon for the duration of the tournament.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 09:19 AM

Hmm,
Wimbledon is VASTLY popular, and people queue through the night to pick up tickets on the day (literally - they put up tents on the pavement), and whilst it's easier to get entry to the ground than to pick up tickets for the main stands, there's still a limit on how many they let in. So, unless you're willing to get there early and queue, then I'm afraid there's really no guarantee that you'll get in.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Absolutely ditto what Kate says. The crack of dawn is not too early to line up for the day's grounds tickets and as noted above, people queue overnight for a chance at the Centre, 1 and 2 courts.

I recall something about people being asked to turn in tickets for resale (with proceeds to charity?) if they can't stay the full day. That might work for you. But it's a long haul out there not knowing if you'll be admitted or not.

Although it's strictly forbidden, we used to pass grounds tickets on to friends for the afternoon matches. That was 4 years ago so I don't know if the Wimbledon ticket nazi's have some up with a scheme to thwart that.

If you do decide to join the queues it's really quite an adventure. Don't forget sunscreen, water and cash. They only take cash.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 04:27 PM

peterl43,

Here are links to a couple of threads from last year which might help;

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...n_name=samejia

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...en_name=JJBhoy

Jim
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 04:37 PM

obxgirl, the resale of tickets only applies to those already in the ground. People with grounds passes can go to the ticket office near court 18 at the very top of Henman Hill and by resold tickets to the show courts.

The Wimbledon website says in the past everyone who queued has been able to get into the grounds at some point in the day except for the people's saturday and the second monday.

If you join the queue by 8:00 you should be in the grounds by the time play starts on the outside courts, 12:00. The security is extremely tight and that is why the queue takes so long. But do go if you can, it is an unforgettable experience. Watch a match on an outside court, drink Pimms on Henman Hill.

I queued two days last year and the queue was much shorter the day Henman played. I still don't know why.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thank you for the clarification on resale tickets. Happily I've never had to turn one in!

We were lucky enough to have lottery tickets for Center and Court 1 in 2002 and 2003 so it's been awhile since we've done the queue.

The gist of what I was trying to impart is that the expectation for showing up mid afternoon and getting grounds tickets is a pretty low.

I agree it's quite an experience being there and for major tennis fans, worth the wait.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your advice...we're going to be out that way in the morning and since we're in the area, we'll try our luck in the afternoon..thanks!