Notices

Willie Clancy School, Need car?

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Willie Clancy School, Need car?

I'll arrive at Shannon Airport (from California) on Thurs., July 5. I'll need to be in Milford Malbay for the Willie Clancy Music School on July 7-15. Then, I'll meet up with my mother who'll be arriving at Shannon on Mon., July 16. We then have time to travel until we have to be in Limmerick on July 21, Ennis on July 22 and fly home the morning of July 23 out of Shannon. If I can find a World Master Card to cover the CDW insurance, I then have to figure out how to shorten the rental to 15 days (I'm in Ire for 18 total days), correct? I know my classes at the Willie Cl. Sch. will be in various towns. Is travel by bicycle an option? I thought not due to the weather. Are there buses in those small towns (Milford Malbay, Spanish Point, Quilty)? Any suggestions?
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 09:55 AM

amberose,

I stayed at Spanish Point and I walked to Miltown Malbay one time. I think it was about a mile and half. There are sidewalks out of Miltown then you are just on the road with no way to get off as the stone walls are so close. I was there in Sept and there was no bus service to speak of. I think biking would be fine. How will you get to Miltown Malbay? If you can find a way, it would seem you could wait and rent a car when you pick up your mother. I'm sure you'll get more info on this subject. By the way, I loved that little place.

Best Wishes, Joan
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Joan! I'm looking into the trip from Shannon to Milford Malbay. I'd love to just hop a bus because from what I remember of jet lag, I don't think driving right away is a great idea.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 10:42 AM

amberose,

It's MILTOWN Malbay. We need to put an SOS out for Nedsireland as he has traveled by bus to this area. I'm very sure you'll get more replies tomorrow. Do you have accommodations all set? I've been told it gets really crowded during that period. You might want to ask some questions at Irelandyes web site. Also Ireland Expert is good . Do keep coming back here because you will get great advice.

Joan
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Dear Joan,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I do have my accomodations set for that part of the trip. I also wanted to check out the Galway Arts Festival and could use some advice there. Thanks again. Oh, and thanks for the correction on Miltown Malbay!
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Amberrose,

How lucky you are to be attending the school! THey had hoped to have us teach their but neither their budget or ours would allow for it this year.

You can take the bus from the Shannon airport to Milltown Malbay, http://www.buseireann.ie/site/airpor...es/shannon.asp. It is 12.50 in euros. Once you get there, a bicycle should be all you need to get around. I am also sure that once classes start, should you need to go further afield, someone will offer a lift. There is also car hire but that might be a bit dear.

The Galway Arts Festival is quite chaotic but fun in its own right. Howver, lodging might be a challenge at this late date. Here is a link for it in case you don't have it, http://www.galwayartsfestival.com/. You could always look to staying outside of Galway and coming in for the day. However, the ideal wold be to stay in Galway proper as there is so much to experience.

Slan Beo,

Bit

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 02:54 AM

I've travelled by BusEireann (local service) Ennis to/from Miltown Malbay via Lahinch & Ennistymon. There's one in the AM and one around mid-afternoon (mostly carrying school kids). I think you'll have to go by way of Ennis to get to Miltown Malbay by public transportation. In Miltown Malbay I stayed at Fitzgerald's B&B (look for the Curtin's Meat Market store window).

I hitch-hiked Miltowm Malbay-Spanish Point and back (to play golf). That's where the Willie Clancy Scoile is focused (at the Armada Hotel). Bicycle would be great!

Have a great time!
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 03:46 AM

If you go to the MasterCard web site, they post a list of World card offers. Currently, most of them are from Barclay's, but CHASE offers a Continental Airlines World Card ($85 Annual Fee) and Bank of America has an ELITE REWARDS World Card with NO Annual Fee.

If you need to rent for MORE than 15 days, a BUSINESS MC World Card (if you qualify) has a 30 or 31 DAY limit on Rental Coverage. Otherwise, you can 'circumvent' the time restriction by dividing it into two, TOTALLY SEPARATE rentals. If I were to do that, though, I would make one rental for twoweeks (14 days), for economy purposes and then get the final four days through an entirely different company.

Do you already have lodging arraingements in Galway? It will fill up FAST.

Bob
Old May 4th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Dear Bob, Ned, and Bit,
Thanks for all your advice. I'm looking into the Master Card and the buses. I've heard it rains all the time in Ireland, especially in the West. Wouldn't I be taking a risk in traveling by bicycle everyday from Quilty to where ever the classes are...Spanish Point and Miltown Malbay? (Don't laugh, I'm a California girl)
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Well, yes, it COULD rain every day, but that would be a bit unusual and it would be REALLY unusual if it was more than just a light rain shower. More than likely, any 'regular' rain you encounter would fall under the 'soft day' category (very light mist), often interspersed by periods of blue sky and sunshine.
Ireland doesn't usually have 'Monsoon' weather, but I suppose that anything is possible...

Bob