Travel to Kinsale

Jul 31st, 2007, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Travel to Kinsale

Good Morning All: I will be arriving early from an overnight flight from New York into Shannon. I have no choice but to travel to Kinsale that same day. Hopefully I will be able to catch some sleep on the flight but I'm sure I will have some jet lag. Can anyone give me an idea how long of a trip this is going to be taking the back roads? Any suggestions on how to make this a less than mind numbing trip would be appreciated. Thanks for your assistance.
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:19 AM

By Bus Eireann, it's about two and a half hours from Shannon Airport to Cork, then about an hour from Cork to Kinsale. I'm sure it would be quicker by car but, if you get the bus, you won't have to cope with strange roads and it doesn't matter if you fall asleep.
www.buseireann.ie
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:51 AM

GeoffHammer has a good answer. It all depends of course how you will react to the jet lag , changing to driving on the left, how rested you are from that particular flight.
We fly from TX, (3 or 4 hours more than NY)to Europe and usually have a 2 hour limit to "drive on " that day.(and of course THAT can vary)
A car is certainly more convenient, and it would probably work......however you must be "aware" of the Irish roads....and if you can trust your alertness that day. Sounds like you would be solo, and that compounds the jet lag problem. (and you don't want to put others in danger.
Jul 31st, 2007, 07:25 AM

I would recommend taking a bus too.
We've driven in Ireland and it was a frightening experience under the best of conditions!
Jul 31st, 2007, 07:50 AM

me too. Take the bus for sure. You can always pick up a rental car on day 2
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:05 AM

Can you fly from Shannon to Cork?
Then get your rental car in Cork.
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:07 AM

Sorry, just checked you can't do that.
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:53 AM

Drive time Shannon to Kinsale is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Another option: train from Limerick to Limerick Junction (where you change trains) and then on to Cork. Rent a car in Cork and drive 30 - 45 minutes to Kinsale. Nap on train. http://www.irishrail.ie/home/
Aug 1st, 2007, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the replies. I will be traveling with another and this will be our second trip to Ireland. How true about adjusting to the driving. On our first trip it seemed like it took both of us to drive at the same time. I hadn't thought about the bus/train to Cork and then grabbing a car at the airport in Cork. I especially like the napping part ;-} Only problem would be a drop off charge since we will be ending out trip in Galway and leaving the car in Shannon. Any ideas on how much those charges can run? Once again, thank you so much for your input.
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:39 AM

another thought, check with a shannon area bed and breakfast about renting a day room where you just go to sleep for the morning. take a taxi from the airport in shannon to the bed and breakfast, sleep for 4 hours, take a taxi back to airportand pick up rental car i have done this many times staying with mrs mccabe at mccabe's bed and breakfast -- in essence you rent your room from the night before and checkin very early in am -- but its great lifesaver in terms of sleep the first day and you pick your rental car up and return it at a time that works for the way home so you have no extra hours to pay for on the last day.
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:03 AM

AndyNolan,

One trip I rented a room at Oakwood Arms in Shannon for the morning. We had a driver coming from Clifden to pick us up around noon so we went to the hotel, had breakfast, two of us napped some and the other walked around.

Good Luck, Joan
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:16 AM

Andy: On my visits to Ireland we've driven each time and I don't recall any drop charges...once we picked up in Dublin and dropped off at Shannon, another we picked up in Cork, dropped off in Dublin, and on a third we picked up in Dublin, dropped off in Galway...all within the country. The last ime was eight years ago, so it may have changed by now. In most European countries there are no drop charges for within drops. Then again, the drop could be hidden in the rate.

Stu T.
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:01 AM

On one trip, I flew Boston to Dublin, then Dublin to Cork city. Took a bus from the airport to the bus station, then a bus to Skibbereen. It was great--no hassles, got to nap on the bus. The Cork city bus station is a world unto itself, however. I'd advise you to avoid the ladies' room...
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:45 AM

Most of the time thare are no extra drop off charges. If you find a company that charges one - then just keep shopping for another rental agency.