William Tell Express reservations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are off to Switzerland in 3 1/2 weeks. Can't wait! Our itinerary is as follows:

5/27 - 5/30 Locarno
5/30 - 6/1 Lucerne
6/1 - 6/5 Wengen
6/5 - 6/6 Zurich

After much consideration, I think our best bet for train passes is the 1 month half fare card (as opposed to the 3 day Saver Flexi-pass).

We are planning on taking the William Tell Express on 5/30 from Locarno to Fluellen, transferring there to the ferry. Do we need to make a reservation prior to getting to Switzerland, or will we be ok doing it when we get to Locarno? We are leaning towards getting first class seats for the trip, primarily for the ferry. The1st class panorama train sounds great, but a number of people have mentioned it can get hot in the car due to the greenhouse effect. Is this truly the case?

If we need to make a reservation in advance, will I then not be able to use the half fare card, since we can't purchase that until we arrive?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:56 AM

Dollar has tumbled in last weeks making Half-Fare card more expensive and Swiss Flexipass, at $156 p.p. for 3 days cheaper.. seems as though Locarno to Lucerne is an expensive fare at even 50% but i guess if you're doing no other train travel probably best bet. I don't see why you can't make the reservation in Switzerland as it basically is a seat for the meal - boats can accommodate hundreds. Unlike Glacier Express i haven't heard any problems getting this reservation locally. The worst that could happen is you'd have to take a seat on the train in a car without commentary and go on the boat like anyone else.
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to take the panorama car, then definitely reserve. On all other trains and ferries, no reservation necessary.

I know there are new air-conditioned panorama cars for the Glacier Express but don't know about the other cars.

See: http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/Wilh....html?&L=2
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:24 AM

How exciting - I will be in Locarno the same time as you, and then in Lauterbrunnen when you are in Wengen. I can hardly wait to get there. I was in Switzerland last September and loved it so much, I had to go back soon.
Martha
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

I think we've decided to just deal with it when we get there. It seems that it will be much cheaper just to make independent train and ferry reservations, as opposed to the tourist train. I don't need glass panorama windows to enjoy the ride.

And Martha, maybe I'll bump into you in Locarno! 3 1/2 weeks and counting....
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:23 AM

Boats don' take reservations for individuals in my experience nor have i ever had any problem getting on.

ditto for train though you can reserve on the train i wouldn't bother - especially in first class (which also gets you on the top deck of the boat; 2nd class down under)