TGV - Paris CDG to Bordeaux

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been trying to figure out the Rail Europe schedule for TGV from CDG airport to Bordeaux. Arriving early morning from the states in Terminal 1. I know TGV leaves from Terminal 2 and it will take some time to get to Term 2.
It looks like there are very few TGV trains that run that route. Can someone help me with understand whether there really are just the few trains so we don't sit in CDG for 5 hours waiting to board the afternoon train - or is there another option?
Would need train to Bordeaux on a Monday.
Thanks.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

ah.. forgot to ask if anyone can help me decipher this:
PARIS MONTPARNASSE 1 ET 2
Where is this located in Paris?
Thanks.
Been looking at the www.scnf.com site as well for train options, but would appreciate ANY and all help.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 05:56 AM

France rail map, schedules, tickets:

http://downloads.raileurope.com/map_...pe/france.html

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/dynamic/...geUK&WB=HP
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 06:25 AM

Montparnasse 1 et 2 is the Gare Montparnasse located in the city of Paris itself.

I doubt you'll find any direct TGV services from CDG to Bordeaux.

I'm doing the exact same thing (arriving Term 1 and going by TGV to Bordeaux) and will make my way to Montparnasse and take the train from there using tickets I ordered through the voyages-sncf site and printed out at home.

There is no need to go through RailEurope for these.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 06:31 AM
ira

Hi F

Trains leave CDG2 at 08:56, 13:45 and 16:38

>PARIS MONTPARNASSE 1 ET 2
Where is this located in Paris?

In the 14th.

Use www.ratp.fr to find out how to get from CDG TGV to Gare Montparnasse.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 06:46 AM

Sorry, I stand corrected by Ira's better research as to direct services from CDG to Bordeaux.

Ira I am glad you've stopped talking about 25 Euro PREMS fares, however.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Let me add one more comment about those direct train departure times:

You do not say what time you are arriving at terminal 1....but my suspicion is the 8:56 departure may be cutting it close although I may be worng. OTOH the 13:45 probably entails an unnecessary wait.

You'll find there are almost hourly departures for Bordeaux from Montparnasse 1 et 2 and you may be better off making your way there...just a thought.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the 8:56 would be just a bit too quick.... and waiting till 13.45 is too long. I was only finding those exact train times that ira found.
I think I will check our your suggestion Dukey and make our way into Paris earlier. Might work out better.
ira, Thanks for the website.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 12:52 PM
ira

Hi Dukey,

>Ira I am glad you've stopped talking about 25 Euro PREMS fares, however.

You're right. It's now as low as 22.9 for Paris Montparnasse to Bordeaux St. Jean.

I think that that's close enough for government work, though.

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 01:04 PM

It wasn't that low when I bought my PREMS a few weeks ago that's for certain.
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:22 AM

I am flying to France on May 16th on Air France, on the new 7:45 AM flight from JFK which arrives at CDG at 9:00 PM the same day. The next day, I will take the 7:39 AM train departing CDG which arrives at Bordeaux at 12:00 PM. The only downside about leaving from the airport is that it takes about 1 hr longer to get to Bordeaux. The reason for this is that the TGV from CDG by-passes Paris via a feeder line at Massy. However, it also saves me the trouble of having to go to Gare Montparnasse, another 45 mins via the RER lines into Paris on the morning I head for Bordeaux.
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:34 AM

I would love to have bought my PREMS for that 8:56 departure from CDG direct to Bordeaux.

The only problem is my flight arrives at 7:45 that morning and assuming an absolutely on-time arrival, an immediate exit from the plane <b>at an actual gate</b> and no problems retrieving luggage and no waits at Immigration or Customs, etc., I still did not feel &quot;comfortable&quot; buying a non-refunadable/non-exchangeable ticket for that particular train.

Call me foolish but to each their own.
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:06 AM

Dukey, Since you booked a PREM'S ticket, I'd call you prudent and wise.

Fairway, Taking the RER and Metro to Gare Montparnasse costs 8.10 EUR. If you don't want to handle your luggage, you could take the Air France bus #4 directly to Gare Montparnasse (one stop at Gare de Lyon). The fare is in the 12-14 EUR range. (The site is acting up at the moment so I couldn't get the exact fare.)
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:16 AM
ira

Hi Dukey,

&gt;It wasn't that low when I bought my PREMS a few weeks ago that's for certain.

PREMS fares, like airfare, change daily, depending on demand.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

TimS - thanks for the additional info.
We definately don't want to sit at CDG for 5 hours. The bus can be booked online - or can we pick it up at the airport when we need it? Have taken RER before and just purchased ticket when we needed it that day.

Another question for anyone out there. Is it recommended or even possible to purchase the TGV ticket the day we need it upon arrival at Gare Montparnasse to Bordeaux - or is it suggested we purchase before leaving the States? Husband wants to wait until we need it like we could do in the UK. Recommended website: www.scnf.com site or Voyages... something? And just how is this different than Rail Europe? All the rail sites are getting confusing.

Thanks for the help. Haven't had to do this before in France.

Old May 1st, 2007, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

ah... p.s. to previous message.

What exactly is a PREMS ticket? Sounds discounted somehow.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:25 AM

I take the TGV from CDG to Bordeaux all the time - there are usually trains every hour or couple of hours. I always allow a minimum of 2 hours from landing time at A&eacute;rogare 1 to the TGV station in A&eacute;rogare 2.

If you're going to go into Paris and leave from the Gare Montparnasse (which really shouldn't be necessary), allow an extra hour.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:26 AM

PREMs are pre-paid, non-transferable and non-refundable tickets.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:31 AM

I should add that it's usually easier to find a PREM from the Gare Montparnasse to Bordeaux than from CDG, but the hassle of getting into the city just to get on a train usually deters me from worrying about the extra expense.
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:25 AM
ira

Hi F,

If you know which train you want, you can buy your ticket in advance at www.voyages-sncf.com.

Click the British flag in the lower left corner for English.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -