Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will volcanic activity impact June travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2024, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading about volcanic activity near blue lagoon leading to evacuations in the area. We are planning a trip in early June and my question is if it is likely that this volcanic activity impact will last till June and impact our travel?
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 10:31 AM

The simple answer to that is there is no way of knowing.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 10:36 AM

If only volcanoes had a "season."
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 10:47 AM
P_M

As others have stated, there's no way to predict what will happen. Just make your plans to go, and deal with whatever happens when the time comes.

I went to Iceland last year and I'm sure you will love it.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 11:16 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
During a previous Iceland volcano air travel disruption I had flights booked from Rome to Budapest & from Budapest to London. To avoid having to cancel plans, while in Rome I bought train tickets in sleepers rather than wait & worry. The train option was expensive & by the time I set off from Budapest the planes were flying again. But I enjoyed the train travel so much I wasn’t sorry in the least. It wasn’t something I’d have done otherwise so the eruption gave me an experience I’d otherwise not have had. You might think similarly of the possibilities.

Old Mar 10th, 2024, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Makes sense. I was wondering if anyone has the extent of volcanic eruption or experience from previous eruptions.

We have booked the trip (June 1st week) and are very excited about it. Now on to itinerary planning
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by as6405
Thanks all. Makes sense. I was wondering if anyone has the extent of volcanic eruption or experience from previous eruptions.

We have booked the trip (June 1st week) and are very excited about it. Now on to itinerary planning
Every eruption is different. I believe this same volcano had been erupting off and on for a few years now. The recent activity is just targeted more near structures and towns than the previous. And that is not to say that there could not be another eruption somewhere else on the island. Iceland has over 130 volcanoes. And while they do their best to chart activity, there is no way to actually predict the when one may erupt. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned (volcanoes in Iceland have female names).

Many sites near Fagradalsfjall are and may be closed. It will be best to avoid your itinerary in that area and focus on the many other areas available, including for thermal spas (Blue Lagoon is one of many).
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 11:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The good news is that if there is a lot of volcanic activity then the reduced flying that will occur over the Atlantic will slow Climate Change (as it did with Eyjafjallajökull). So bring it on.

Please take out travel insurance

Last edited by bilboburgler; Mar 10th, 2024 at 11:57 PM.