Reload this Page >

Will this work from Dublin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 06:20 AM
Deirdre

A friend and I are spending 6 days in Ireland in October. <BR>I was thinking of basing ourselves in Dublin and going by train for day trips to Cork and Galway and somewhere in Northern Ireland. <BR>Is this feasable? We're young and healthy, so I think the 3 hour train rides early AM and late PM shouldn't be too bad. Am I wrong?

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 06:47 AM
Nina

Cork and Galway are, I think, nicer towns than Dublin and I almost think it would be nicer to go and stay overnight in these places to get to go out there. Also there are some really nice daytrips you can do from Galway (such as Connemara) to see more of the countryside rather than just the cities. <BR> <BR>Cheers <BR>Nina.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 09:37 AM
Cathy

Deirdre, <BR>Train and rail travel in Ireland is not similar to other European rail systems so be warned and spend a night in each city rather than day trips. You should also consider using the bus - check out CIE for special one day tours and the normal bus timetable. Post if you want more tips on Ireland. <BR>Cathy

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 12:24 PM
Kathy

Deirdre, <BR>I spent 10 days in August in Ireland and we went all over! I agree with Nina that Galway deserves an overnight stay. We stayed at a lovely B & B in Galway and from there went to the Cliffs of Moher. Also, Kerry (the ring) area and Kilarney were absolutely gorgeous. I would highly recommend staying outside of Dublin once you have toured the city. The B & B's and people were just wonderful. If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 11:46 PM
Anna

Dear Deirdre <BR> <BR>I echo the above. Two days should be enough in Ieland. You can take a 2.5 hour train journey to Cork. Then head for Kinsale / West Cork for a couple of days. The drive around the Southwest Coast is beautiful. Galway is definately worth another couple of days. You can always visit the Aran Islands etc. from there if you wish. <BR> <BR>It is upto you, but I would do most of your travel by car. The Dublin-Cork or Dublin-Galway train journey is OK, but I tend to avoid the buses (they are uncomfortable and take ages to get places). A car will give you much more flexibility and you can always pull into a local pub for lunch etc. <BR> <BR>It is feasible to do day trips from Dublin, but then you only get to see rather than experience the real Ireland. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip ! <BR> <BR>Anna