Reload this Page >

London/night-time travel

Search

London/night-time travel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 02:15 PM
Jackie

London/night-time travel

I'm going to London at end of March, traveling alone. Hotel is near the Paddington/Queensway tube stops. My question: can I take the tube at night, say after a West End theater performance, and be safe? If a taxi is a better choice, will there be a problem finding one?

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 04:08 PM
Alex

The tube is perfectly safe. You can also take a bus or walk. I walked from the West End to Bloomsbury alot. It took 20 minutes.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 10:25 PM
Maggie

While in London last year my daughter and I travelled by taxi to the theatre from and to our hotel, mainly for the experience of riding in a black cab. We found it reasonable and enjoyed our chats with the drivers....it was part of our London experience, however getting a cab when the theatre lets out is a challenge. We found the underground to be 'safe'...but you must remember that whenever you travel you must never let your guard down no matter how 'safe' you feel you are...especially if you are a person travelling alone. Have fun...

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 03:12 AM
Valerie

NO, no, no, Jackie don't take the subway at night coming from the theatre. At 10pm 11pm at night it is very quiet, dark, and isolated. A perfect backdrop for a robbery/crime. Add in one female alone and it is a asking for trouble. As a female who rides subways all the time in the States and many, many, many times in London, I suggest to take a cab. Albeit London is a relatively safe city, it still has crime. Please don't take the subway at night alone!

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 04:32 AM
Georgia

Jackie, <BR> <BR>I am female and have lived in London for 15 years (since I was 18). I, and my female friends, have absolutely no qualms in taking the tube alone at night, particularly in central London. There will be lots of people around - the post-theatre (and pub close) tubes are often busier than in the daytime. The same goes for buses, although you may not want to wait at a bus stop at night (again, I have never had a problem). Taxis are generally difficult to find in central London in the evening and so the tube will be your best option. Obviously, London is a big city and so exercise your normal caution at night. <BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 06:58 AM
Gina

I agree with Georgia and Alex completely. I've traveled to London several times solo, and frequently take the Tube at night returning from the theater. I've never felt threatened or in any danger. I'm not sure what in the world Valerie is talking about--between 10 and midnight, after the theater lets out, the Tube is *anything* but "quiet, dark, and isolated." Rather, it's crowded, busy, and noisy--particularly on weekend nights, but I observed on my most recent London trip (got back yesterday) that weeknights even in the winter months find the central Tube stations very busy as well; Georgia is absolutely right that they're often busier during these times than during the day. I really can't imagine why Valerie thinks riding the Tube alone at night is so dangerous. <BR> <BR>This is not to say that you shouldn't take reasonable precautions--London *is* a major city and there is crime. Do what you'd do in any major city: keep your bag closed, keep your hands on it, stay alert, look confident, don't do blatantly dangerous things like walking down dark and deserted streets alone. <BR> <BR>Have a great time in London!