Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A month in Provence. What should we see? Where should we stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 12:15 PM
charlie

My wife and I plan to drive from Paris to the French Riviera, spending most of a month in Provence. Any tips on sights, towns and inns not to be missed will be greatly appreciated.

Old Jul 4th, 1999, 02:42 AM
Topper

!

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 05:56 AM
Steve

I'd try to avoid the "A" routes, if at all possible, unless you really enjoy driving interstates in the U.S. We were caught up in VERY heavy holiday traffic going from Lyon toward Avignon one Monday in late May-99. Had to get off the A route and find less crowded, but less direct routes. Better. <BR>What to see/do depends on what types of things you enjoy doing --- specatacular views, old buildings, museums, countryside, restaurants, nice hotels? <BR>We found small, inexpensive hotels ($50-60/night with breakfast) on the Internet. Often stayed in smaller cities/towns, which were quieter but still near tourist destinations like Avigon (a bit too touristy for me) or the French Alps. <BR>Unless you really like LOTS of traffic and small beaches, I'd not plan to stay on the Riviera. My wife might disagree, but I thought seeing it was a waste of time. Monaco, for example, was almost like Disneyworld, compared to the smaller villages outside Avignon. <BR>We like to do short day hikes and found a nice chalet-type hotel near Lake Annecy, with hiking nearby. Difficult to recommend a specific, 'specatacular' sight. Lyon is worth a day or two. Beautiful view at night of catherdral overlooking two rivers that run thru center of city. We just drove until we saw something interesting. By the way, both of us agree that we had rather go back to Southwest France next time. We really liked the Pyrenees and some of the towns near Toulouse. Less crowded and just as beautiful as Provence. Provence does have great food, pottery, and linens, though. <BR>

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 09:12 AM
Craig

Try Ville-Franche sur Mer, next to Nice. It was quiet, majestic and historical.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 09:20 AM
Kelly

We are planning a trip to Provence (first there, but not first to France). We don't plan to do a whole lot, except wander. I have read that the Roman ruins are fantastic and second only to (or even better than) Italy. <BR> <BR>St. Tropez is said to be lovely in the off season, it returns to its village feel. We are basing outside of Avignon, renting a flat at a B&B. They are going to arrange a wine tour or two (there are many, many wine routes), as well as a cooking class. Let me know if you have any questions, I have written to friends in the area and hope to hear from them soon. (The french and their snail mail.)

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 08:44 AM
Chau

Charlie, <BR> <BR>I highly recommend Arles. We stayed at Hotel du Musee. Family run, great BA, very comfortable, and very helpful. I would definitely stay there again. Avignon is also great. We stayed at Hotel du Garlande there. You must do outdoor markets at every chance. It's the best! Beware of driving in little towns. Streets are very narrow and winding and if you do get lost and need to turn around, it's an adventure! Believe me, we've been there. I loved train rides, I would do train next time, and leave the driving to somebody else. You can always ride a taxi from station into town. Not expensive.

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 07:13 AM
Marsha

If you have a whole month, why not rent an efficiency apartment and use it for a base? I prefer Avignon, but Aix-en-Provence (many English speaking people) and the Riviera towns are nice, too. If you stay in one place, as my husband and I often have, you will meet the local folks at the laundramat, market, post office, etc. As for sites, visit the roman ruins in Nimes and the Cistercian abbeys. Check out the art galleries and museums in Nice and St. Paul de Vence. Rent a bike on the island in the Rhone River in Avignon. Enjoy! <BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 07:22 AM
santachiara

Is it difficult to drive in Provence? I am planning on visiting this summer. I ask because I live in Italy, and I am terrified to drive here, although I am a fairly fearless Texan in all other respects.