Will the US $ rise again?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been very depressing trying to plan my trip to England with the exchange rate the way it is. I am still planning on going regardless (in May) but I was just wondering if there was any hope for the $. (Is there any chance it could get worse?!)

Can anyone make an educated guess? I am afraid my intelligence is not geared towards economics.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 04:38 PM

The lowest dollar rate is bad for us traveller going abroad, but is great for the export business..It was a fruitful year...
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 04:41 PM

..my guess that things will NOT get better in the near future...the question is whether they will get worse..using the "McDonald" index, i wonder whether the pound is overvalued against the euro? would be inetersted in other's thoughts.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

No offense (to Kismetchimera) but I really don't want to turn this thread into a "I'm glad the dollar is low" thread. I can understand why people outside of the US are happy (for the same reason I am happy when visiting Canada) But I really was hoping for some educated answers on the question I asked.
I am disabled on a very fixed income (but still it is in my blood to travel!) and I just don't know if I can afford to go if it gets much worse.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 04:50 PM

I don't know what the $ is going to do either, but I never let the exchange rate affect my travel plans. As a budget traveler, one would think I should be concerned, but it really is not that important in my travel planning. In 9 trips to Europe, the $ has been all over the place but I have had 9 great trips. You can make some adjustments, maybe stay somewhere cheaper, or avoid higher priced restaurants. If the $ rises between now and May - great, you have more money. If it doesn't, you have less but the important thing to remember is you're still going to England!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 04:56 PM
lyb

FromAtlanta,

In all honesty, if you want an educated, knowledgeable response to your question, you really should find a forum that caters to economist, not travelers. Any info you will get here, will be pure speculation mixed in with hope or pessimism. Of course, that's part of what economist do as well.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:59 PM

Yes, the dollar wil rise again! When? Who knows?

Could the dollar go lower still? Absolutely! Will it? Try the same guy!

Does a 5% difference really determine if you will go on vacation or not? If so, maybe just go cheaper - or shorter.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:13 PM

By May I would bet that you have some hope. The dollar has suffered such a plunge against European currencies over the past few years that it is due for a dead cat bounce, in the vernacular of the markets. Seriously, I've speculated in currencies and bonds and a quick technical analysis of the charts shows definite signs that the dollar has bottomed. But I could be as wrong as the weather man.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:21 PM

Hey! YOu guys are just spending money on planning trips to Europe, which is bad enough, I know. I'm paying a mortgage on French house, which ten years ago was NOTHING! Now it's 30% more - not exactly chump change. Be happy you are just European travelers and not European property owners who have to live with the enormous rise in prices as well as the crappy exchange rate.

Is it still worth it - YES!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Maybe you guys don't understand what it is like to be disabled at 30. That means I don't have much of a work history...which means that Social Security isn't paying me much.(and believe me - it is not my fault I can't work!) I don't want to turn this into a sob story - just letting you know where I stand. It is really hard on me.
I love travelling more than anything (even though it is getting harder on me physically.) I save as much money as I can so I can go. Right now I would be ok. I just started thinking what if it got a lot worse. The pound is nearly double the value of the dollar. What if it almost triples?!
I never eat at fancy restaurants and I always stay in B&Bs. Believe me, I go VERY CHEAP...and I have done this before. (but 2 yrs. ago it wasn't so bad) ... "avoid high price restaurants"? I was thinking fish and chips or sandwiches! But even that is going to cost AT LEAST $12 (I make less in a year than most of you would spend on vacation)

I'm not felling well right now and I am getting a little over sensitive. Maybe this wasn't the best place to discuss this topic. It was just something that was on my mind and I thought maybe somebody knew something I didn't. I thought if someone had some ideas they would comment-or they wouldn't.

I reread this post...I don't like I how I sound -but I don't know what else to say. I'm embarrassed, but I will post it anyway.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:50 PM
lyb

FromAtlanta,

I hope you didn't misread my email. I wasn't chastising you, I was giving you a true suggestion that a forum geared towards economist would be a better place to get an idea on this situation. Trust me, I would love to know myself, I'm going to London at the end of August and I have to double all the prices I read about to see how much I'm really spending.

St.Cirq,

Sorry, but I don't think you'll get much sympathy. Many of us would love to have your problem.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I really wasn't looking for sympathy...maybe I was throwing a little pity party but I feel entitled. I've been really ill the past few days.
I don't know what you meant by your comment that people would love to have my problem. Do you mean because I don't work? I wish I could! I hate being sick all the time. Yesterday I was in the emergency room for 5 hrs. ... enough. I am embarrassing myself even more. I just want this thread to disappear.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:02 PM

Have you thought of going somewhere with a better exchange rate or cheaper prices than the UK? I would think that Eastern Europe or even Germany would be cheaper than the UK. Believe me, I was there in May and I don't see how anybody can afford to live there!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:04 PM
P_M

From Atlanta, while the weak dollar benefits some people in business, I can relate to you, as it's depressing to think about how much cheaper everything was just 2 years ago when the dollar and the euro were about the same value. For the last 2 years I have kept thinking that the next time I go to Europe it will get better, but it doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon. I wish I could tell you when the situation will improve, but unfortunately I am not qualified.

However, I would like to share this with you. My mother has Lupus and like you, she became mobility-impaired at a fairly young age. Some days she's fine, but on some days walking is a challenge and stairs are sometimes impossible. If it weren't for travelling with her, I don't think I would have noticed how difficult it is to get around Europe when mobility is limited. I have taken her on 3 trips to Europe since she can't afford it on her own. We did as much walking as we could, then we would sit in a cafe and watch the world go by. As you correctly pointed out, it will not get easier with time, so I suggest you do all the travelling you can for now and try not to think about the cost. If you need ideas for economizing, this board will be happy to help. I have gotten so much info from Fodies on how to save money while travelling, and so can you.

For what it is worth, my friend, I admire the fact that you still have a passion for travel, even with a limited budget and challenging mobility issues. Many people would have just given up, but not you, and I think that's great!!

Best of luck to you.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FromAtlanta, The comment about wanting to have your problem was directed at StCirq who apparently owns property in France.

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

I can't ... because of my illness. I have to go places I am familiar and can speak the language (I get mental fog pretty bad these days) Physically and mentally I just can't try a new place right now.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:09 PM
lyb

FromAtlanta,

>>St.Cirq,
Sorry, but I don't think you'll get much sympathy. Many of us would love to have your problem. <<

This wasn't meant for you, I addressed that part to St. Cirq. Trust me, though I won't love not to have to work, I am grateful every day for being healthy and being able to work.

Hang in there.

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:11 PM
lyb

>>though I won't love not to have to work<<

I meant, I WOULD love not to have to work...
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

obxgirl, that makes sense

You guys must think I'm really strange! I am so sorry about this thread and the fact I keep my pity party going. I really am ashamed of myself.

Please forgive me

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:18 PM

From Atlanta,

I did not realize your situation when I replied to your post. As a budget traveler, I too stay at B&B's and eat on the cheap. The problem with trying to figure out what the $ will do is there are a number of unknown factors that could have an effect. The direction of the economy, terrorism, the presidential election, etc. Any of these or other factors may or may not have an effect.

I hope for your sake that the $ does rise - I wish you well on your travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -