Search

Will I Ever Be Able to See Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will I Ever Be Able to See Europe?

Never been to Europe, unfortunately,
Hubby & I waited too long, and now it's so darned expensive, from what I read and hear. Have 2 weeks to spend, realize we can rent an apartment, have frequent flier miles (but seats are difficult if not impossible to find). We have 2 teens also. However, if I spend weeks planning this, will we be so shocked and dismayed by prices when we GET there that we won't be able to enjoy ourselves? Interested mostly in Italy, but open to ideas. Help! Thanks
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 12:46 PM

There are plenty of inexpensive ways to eat in Italy. Not every meal has to be high end dining. Get one of the Lets Go books or even Rick Steve's and they will show you some inexpensive places. Also easy to find on your own, don't worry about that.

Apartment will be the cheapest for a family and if you plan ahead you can get FF mile seats.

It can be done with some research. Figure out where and then ask questions here and many people will help you.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM

I'd say start by getting frequent flyer miles to whatever European destination you can get. Wherever you land, you can get from there to Italy, and you should be able to find something of interest where you land. So something can work, for sure.

Even if you economize, there's no doubt that the trip will cost several thousand dollars, and you could easily spend triple that. So decide what and how you are going to spend in advance.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM

Linda,

I think you can do it.

It is possible to travel fairly inexpensively in Europe. Surprisingly, I find Paris a relatively cheap city - modest but decent hotels and lots of good street food. Rome a little more expensive - but if you stick to pizza, pasta, small mom and pop places you will not spend a fortune on food.

"Extras" can eat money - like tours, transferring between cities frequently, cabs, etc.

It's true the exchange rate sux bad, butm hey, you only live ONCE!!!
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 12:56 PM

I know the problem - COLLEGE expenses!!!

The year my eldest graduated from HS (2005) we happened into a windfall from my inlaws. As we had already saved a substantial amount of money for their college expenses we decided to blow it in Europe. Here is a brief description of how much it cost us. We could have spent less. We did not eat out fancy - but we did eat every night.

I realize the exchange rate is much worse now. That is unlucky for sure.

All prices have been converted to US dollars and are for the four of us.

Flights:
Jet Blue (Rochester, NY to NYC and back) $467.60
Delta (NYC to Paris and Rome to NYC) $3369.41
Ryan Air (Paris to Rome) $236.08
Total flights $4073.09

Apartments:
Paris $1708.00
Rome $1531.68

Trip Insurance $237.00

Tours:
Segway (Paris) $380.00
Context Rome (Rome - two tours) $614.40

All other total daily expenses (excludes all the above stuff): $3565.05

TOTAL TRIP $12,109.41

Paris averaged $268.39/ day and Rome averaged $227.23/day (excludes accommodations/airfare/airport transfers)

Excluding only flights we averaged $574 per day for the four of us, or $144 per person.

Can I just say though that it was the BEST thing we ever did together? My kids are good travelers, and we generally have fun together, so it might depend on the family, but I wouldn't trade that trip for the world.

And ouch, the college expenses ARE truly awful.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 12:57 PM

I forgot to say we did one week in Paris and then one week in Rome. An itinerary I would definitely recommend.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 01:00 PM

I agree with Shoefly: I can find better bargains in Paris than in many other cities.

And WillTravel has it right, too. Award tickets to other air destinations in Europe can give you easy access to Italy. Try Paris, Madrid, the airports in Germany and any other cities that your airline or its partners have flights to.

That might be a good place to start: see where you can get award tickets to.

We spent a very economical week in Venice in October, and another in Paris in February. Some cities have great museum transportation options that can save a lot of money.

Eating on the cheap in Italy isn't all that difficult. There are many books and articles that give suggestions on the subject.

If you are serious, you can go to Europe for a reasonable price.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 01:04 PM
ira

Hi L,

Of course you will be able to go.

>Hubby & I waited too long,

How old are you?

How old are the kids?

Where do you want to go?

For how long?

What's your budget?

"...start by getting frequent flyer miles to whatever European destination you can get. Wherever you land, you can get from there to"..is a very good idea.

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Now, now, let us speak no more in such negative terms. Think positive and save big.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Amy

Have you looked into Untours? (www.untours.com) They're reasonably priced and you can, of course, eat some meals at home or picnic style. I like Untours for many reasons, not least of which is that their profits are used to aid developing businesses in developing areas. Anyway, for a first family trip to Europe it takes away some of the stress whilst keeping costs down.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 01:23 PM

I am a Canadian and our exchange rates have been pitiful for years up until just recently. That has never stopped us. However, we do not have children so do not have to save for college! Travel to Europe is a necessity to us.

Why not go to a slightly cheaper location such as the Czech Republic or Croatia or Bosnia or Slovakia? They are spectacular. Parts of Croatia remind me a lot of Italy. In fact, I would choose Croatia over Italy (and I love Italy).

My husband and I have gone for nearly three weeks for under $5,000 including everything. You can sometimes get great seat sales. Staying in B&B's can be much cheaper yet more quaint and charming than hotels. The price includes breakfast so you just have to worry about two meals per days. You can buy cheap lunches at bakeries and groceries and then go out for dinner.

I think you would regret not going to be honest.

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 01:37 PM

If you have frequent flyer miles then go. The teens will probably have a blast plus a cool vacation to talk about.

I think the idea to 'figure where the FF miles will get you to' and plan it from there has merit.
For Italy, Zurich and other cities would work. Remember, WLIWL flew four people from Paris to Rome for $240.

Maybe renting an apartment in a smaller, 2 star city would help.

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 01:55 PM

Start with the FF miles and let that be your gating factor. If you get them---and that will not be easy---then the Gods have spoken. If not, stay home and save and consider a trip to Montreal and call it France.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 03:30 PM

Wilwi, your prices astound me.

We are a family of 3 who spent slightly over double ( 25k) 0f what you spent...... for a whole year of traveling Europe!!!

That includes 2 weeks in Paris, a week in Provence, a week in Burgundy, a week in Venice, a week in Tuscany, a week in Florence, several days in Rome Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri & Verona ...not to mention a month in Barcelona, Dubrovnik, Santorini etc etc etc

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 03:31 PM

^ Haha. I did mention that we could have spent less...
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 03:32 PM

And I did not cook a single meal (YAY YAY).
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM

I do not remember Italy having high prices. If you really want to go you can. For example, for me to go to Europe each summer, I have to make choices. That means that throughout the year, I can do some of the things that I want to do, but not everything. If I didn't go to Europe, I would have no money issues. It's all about choices. Good luck!!!
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 05:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I also think the plane tickets will be the deciding factor. If you can get them free/FF, it becomes do-able.

Stay in 1-star hotels, B&B's, or apartments, plan to eat inexpensively, use public transportation only. There's so much you can see and do for the price of simple admissions, train tickets, a small bit of walking around money daily... walking places and planning using sweat equity!

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 01:42 AM

My point was that the best things in Europe are free, you do not have to spend a fortune. If you do good planning, you can live large on much less than you imagine.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 02:39 AM

Linda,

I think that maybe I can help you!

I traveled across Europe for a few months very cheaply. I began in Ukraine and went down to Naples, then up to London. I spent about 3000 euros along the way (about $3750 at the time and somewhere under $4500 now). I went by bicycle (which you probably don't want to do), but I found out many ways to save money.

The first thing is to avoid the popular places at the popular times, if possible. There are cheaper cities in Eastern Europe, but Italy is quite doable--it's the lodging that's expensive. Also, think twice before eating often at restaurants near tourist spots. (I often shopped at grocery stores--very affordable.)

As for lodging, you can settle for an alternative, and one is very good. There's a website http://www.couchsurfing.com/ that makes it easy to find a FREE host in most countries who just wants to meet new friends from around the world. People express surprise at first, but my opinion (from experience) is that there are many kind and trustworthy people who use the site, or maybe I just got lucky several times. So you can sleep in someone's home and let them tell you about their city.

I read that you have 2 teenagers, but with time and planning, you can probably find a host. Also, there are several cheap hostels and campgrounds (with showers) if that isn't too inconvenient. Hostels usually have around 12 young people sleeping in the same room, but sometimes you can get a room to yourself or book a smaller room fairly cheaply.

For other ideas you can read my many tips on my site if you want. Accommodations tips are here:
http://www.englicious.com/__bike (the "Tips for like-minded travelers" page under Related Information, then Accommodation)

There are photos and tales on the main page, in case it helps give you ideas. If you and your husband have some questions, I will help if I have some time (there's an email address on my site).

I want you to see Europe!!

Best wishes,
John

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -