Will be in Ireland on St. Pat's Day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know they don't quite celebrate like they do in America, but is there anywhere fun to go, besides Dublin? Thanks!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Hi Irlandes,
Well I'm not quite sure how they celebrate in America but when I was in Dublin for St.Pat's day it was an ALL DAY party, ending with amazing fireworks in the evening. Sorry, I don't know anywhere fun to go besides Dublin, but I think Dublin is plenty of fun and I can't imagine any celebration being bigger than that is. Let us know if you do find what you're looking for.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 12:58 PM

Hi there irlandes. I was in Dublin last March from the 12th to the 16th. Was supposed to stay till the 18th, but I got really sick and went back "home" to Edinburgh. Anyway, I didn't feel I missed much, but that really depends on what you're going for. My perspective on the whole ordeal was that it was my first time in Ireland, and those dates were the only ones to coincide with my friend's spring break... The city was FULL of tourists. Americans EVERYWHERE. Just too damn many people. Fortunately the masses seemed more interested in shopping than in sight-seeing what weanted to see, so that worked out. And we ended up spending hours upon hours sitting in Bewley's, hiding. Apparently they dye the river green on the 17th. We pub-hopped until we found a cozy upstairs pub with a live band singing traditional and not so traditional songs. Whiskey in the Jar was my favorite. So it is a nice event, if you're expecting a big Americanized party. (Incidentally - the celebration is Dublin is relatively new. It was created after watching years and years of the success in Boston, and hoping to pull the city out of it's unattractive industrial slump.)

That was a much more negative response than I intended to write. Well, uh... sorry. And have fun!
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 03:38 PM

A lot of Irish people make the short hop across to Liverpool as they enjoy the celebrations there more
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 04:11 PM

Do they celebrate St. Patrick's day much in London? I'll be there (it's my birthday). Anything special going on I should know about?