Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will a planned "FS" train strike affect the train from Fiumicino to Termini?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Mike

If a strike is planned for the "FS" system (that's all the information I can gather) - does anyone know if the strike will affect the train that runs from Fiumicino to Termini? I don't know if this is part of the FS/Trenitalia system or is a local offshoot of Rome's Metro system.<BR>Thanks.

Old May 5th, 2002, 08:39 AM
this is how

the trains are random and unpredictable.<BR><BR>so they achieve their objectives without paralyzing the country.<BR>

Old May 5th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Mike

Ummm . . . thanks?

Old May 5th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Andre

Mike,<BR><BR>The aiport trains ARE operated by FS.<BR><BR>Andre

Old May 5th, 2002, 02:20 PM
ttt

Topping

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Mike

So, if the a strike is planned for the FS rail system, and the trains to and from Fiumicino (the Leonardo Express and the local commuter train) are both operated by FS, does this mean they will be completely shut down or just run more infrequently for the duration of the strike? What does everyone advise to get into and out of town? Taxi?

Old May 6th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Mike

Topping once more in case anyone knows, then I'm going to let this thread die. <BR><BR>I must fly out of Rome that day to my next destination, but I do have a choice of an early or late flight and may spend the day around Rome. If I'll be stuck in the airport all day due to a train strike (and not wanting to shell out $80 for a RT taxi), I'll just take the earlier, more expensive flight and get on with my trip. <BR>Thanks.

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Carol

Well, I have sent email messages to several car services since my plane arrives the morning of 19 May. I know we can take a cab, but I thought the cab lines might be much longer. On one website I found something about bus service from the airport which might be an option.

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Jo

My last day in Italy in '98 and I woke up to a big train strike. Luckily I was staying within walking distance to Termini, as cabs were understandably difficult to obtain. The airport train, however, was still running.