Wien and Budapest

Search

Wien and Budapest

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wien and Budapest

I'm intending to go to Wien and Budapest next August, I知 travelling in family (couple with 2 children - 12 and 17 years) and I知 asking for tips for this travel.
Hotels, places to eat, places that we can't miss, security measures, money exchange in Hungary, boat trip Wien-Budapest is a good choice ?,)
Please note that we are 4 to travel but only one to pay....
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 01:42 AM

I once read about a civil service entrance examination in Japan where only one question was set: tell us all you know.

While not as overwhelming, your question tends that way: it's too broad.

I suggest that you ask again, but in a number of separate questions. Before you do so, use the search function in this forum, because some of your questions have already been addressed here.

Consider using apartments for accommodation. I am not familiar with the scene in Vienna, but there are many available in Budapest.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Padraig !
Thats the rookie's problem !
Well let me know something about the apartments option to stay in Wien !
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 02:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Vienna has a tram system worth working out as they are high quality. The city has an inner ring tram route and a good way to understand the city is to take it ( i think no 1 or 2 is clockwise or anti-clockwise). The hydrofoil is a good trip but please check the price as I'm out of touch there. Security in Vienna is not a fundemental problem. Money exchange in both capitals don't do it use ATMs and tell your credit comepnay you are going to

Budapest is a bit more of a security issue but only so that you don';t get gouged by the taxi driver from the airport ( i would book a driven car but my partner makes me take the bus!. Budapest is fun, you need to know that in a east west line frm Budapest are loads of SPAs which are very much part of the local culture. The easy way to participate is to book into a spa hotel but you really miss the point. I suggest go to one out of town (say by train), if you want suggestions come back but tourist info web site should be able to advise. Seriously way to chill out the jet lag for half a day and fun for the kids beofre they get dragged into every museum.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

"before they get dragged into every museum" yes, yes thats a problem when we go with kids!
bilboburgler I'll apreciate your spa sugestions (out of the town)
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 02:52 AM

bilboburgler wrote: "Budapest is a bit more of a security issue but only so that you don';t get gouged by the taxi driver from the airport"

No longer true. It's well controlled now, with fixed rates.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Something about apartments in Budapest ?
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Padraig, you said that the taxi airport-budapest is fixed rate, so can you tell me how much?
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 03:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, pamane,

addressing one of your questions, a recent thread recommended the pension sacher in vienna - very central with at least one apartment with 2 bedrooms which would suit your family.

I would always go for apartments when travelling with kids - the freedom and space is very relaxing.

happy planning,

regards, ann
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Uau thanks annhig, for a rookie after the Padrag "admonish", that a lovelly answer.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 03:50 AM

I said fixed rates (note the plural).

See http://www.bud.hu/english/transport/taxi

Most visitors will be going to zone 2 or 3, so the charge will be 4100 or 4200Ft. About €16.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 04:05 AM

On finding apartments in Budapest: none of those I have used seem to me to be suitable for a family of four (no surprise, because I never travelled there with three other people). Perhaps the one I have booked for next month might suit you, but as I have not yet been there I cannot recommend it. I see there is some availability in August. See http://www.budapestlets.com/apartment.php?apId=1

For apartments in any city, I usually seek a personal recommendation where I can find one, or I work through a reputable agency or organisation (sometimes I start my hunt with Tripadvisor, as they don't seem to list shady operators). So far, it has worked well for me.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 11:00 AM

Just back from our Eastern European tour with children aged 4 and 6. Of course they are much smaller, but in Budapest I could recommend to visit Zoo and Amusement Park (Vidamperk). You could make it within 1 day. For sure your kids will like it!

Our 4 persons family stayed with www.budapest.hoteltargets.com per recommendation of Fodor's Travel Talk. From our first inquiry we had an impression of a serious reputable company. Responses was very quick and everything went smooth. So we was in a "right hands"! As I know they also won several international prizes for they excellent service quality.
The apartment (where we stayed) was secure, clean, and comfortable. It is located in central Budapest, not further than a 2-3 minutes walk from excellent shopping, transportation connections, and the River Danube! The apartment was very clean, the kitchen and bathroom extremely modern. Most of the furnishings were from IKEA and were very updated and fresh. The building is quiet and secure, though the unit itself is street-side with a balcony and beautiful flowers. The apartment was IDEAL in all meanings. I cannot recommend this company (www.budapest.hoteltargets.com) enough !!
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 01:59 PM

Now that sounded like an advertisement couched as a hotel review.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 02:12 PM

Your family may enjoy Prater Park in Vienna.

http://www.wien.info/prater/index-e.html

A short Danube cruise in Budapest might be fun, too.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 02:31 PM
ira

>Now that sounded like an advertisement couched as a hotel review.<

It seems to have been written by someone whose first language is not English.

I give him high marks.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 02:38 PM

ira wrote: "It seems to have been written by someone whose first language is not English."

I concur. Perhaps Hungarian.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 10:17 AM

We recently returned from a mission trip in Hungary and spent several days/nights in Budapest - family of 4: children ages 12 & 10. It is a BIG city! We stayed in 2 different locations. One was downtown near Heroes Square: Hotel Benczur and the other was out by the airport. I would recommend finding someplace that has Air Conditioning as leaving the windows opened at night greatly interfered with our sleeping. Friends of ours in Hungary always stay at the Marriott downtown on the river but I don't know what it would cost.
We used public transportation for getting around (bus, subway) and walked ALOT.
We used ATM for all money.
Can't miss: Castle Hill, House of Terror museum, walking the Danube Embankment.
We ate from 'lunch counters' or small corner grocery stores that sell meat sandwiches made-to-order. Our airport panzio had amazingly great food but I can't find the name of it right now. If I find it, I will add it.
Lastly, we had 2 separate rooms and never felt that it wasn't safe. We felt very safe in Budapest.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 02:58 PM

I stayed at and can highly recommend Bellevue B and B in Budapest and Pension Pertschy in Vienna, but I'm a single traveller, so I don't know how much help I can be. I am a big museum person, and I strongly recommend House of Terror and Fine Art Museum in Budapest and Belevedere and Lichenstein in Vienna
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 04:42 PM

I have been to Budapest several times. I enjoyed taking the Danube cruise at night. I caught the boat near the Marriott. Make sure that it is dark when you take it. The lights around Budapest are beautiful. It can get kind of cool out on the river at night.

My favorite tour was the Cityrama Danube Bend tour.

If you want a cheap place to eat, go to the Westend City Shopping Mall. This is across the street from the Nyugati train station. They also have a metro stop there which has an entrance to the mall. They have an excellent food court. I think that the kids would enjoy the mall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -