Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Why take your driver's license to Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Jennifer

I've noticed in a lot of threads about dummy wallets and hidden security pouches, people mention their US driver's licenses. Unless you will be driving in Europe, I'm just curious to know why you take them with you.<BR><BR>Personally, I view it as another item to be potentially lost or stolen!<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Debbie

I would take it as a 2nd form of ID. <BR>A friend of mine was just in Scotland and her Mother in law lost her passport.<BR>She left her Driver's license at home and was in a bind to prove who she was to get back on the plane. <BR><BR>( Luckily she had a Sam's card with her picture on it - not sure why she took that along , so they accepted that with her photocopy of her Passport)

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Andretti

If you are driving you need a license.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Lynn

Jennifer,<BR><BR>We traveled to London and took our U.S. drivers licenses. We kept them in the hotel safe and did not carry them on our person. If you lose your passport it will be much easier to replace if you have valid ID.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:39 AM
joan

If you are driving to the airport,and parking there while you are in Europe, what else are you going to do with your driver's license except take it with you.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:51 AM
nina

I always use it to exchange money rather than my passport. A lot more convenient since it is so tiny, and if I lose it while on vacation at least I still have my passport to get back home.<BR><BR>Nina

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Christina

I have used it as a form of ID in several places, even when not renting a car. In the Pompidou Center in Paris, for example, they require you to leave it as collateral for the audiophones. <BR><BR>Also, the main reason is as someone mentioned above -- I usually drive to the airport and have to have my license on me. I think it is safer to keep it with me than to leave it in my car somewhere, especially since it may come in handy as ID.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Christina

oh, I have also used it as ID to exchange money, as I am more leery of carrying around my passport on me than my driver's license. If I leave my passport in a safe in hotel or something, it is the only ID I have with my age and picture on it.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Walter

As Christina mentioned Audiophones. I always leave my passport at the hotel and use my driving license to rent audioguides. If I was driving I would leave a CC, for fear that my license might get misplaced. Once at Ostia Antica (Italy) they wouldn't accept a CC only a picture ID. Regards, Walter

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Jennifer

I never thought about some of these things -- thanks!<BR><BR>Joan, I usually travel overseas for several weeks and don't want to leave my car for so long, so usually someone else takes me to the airport, otherwise, I would have my license with me. Oh, and I usually rent apartments, so I don't have access to a hotel safe! But I like the fact that it can be used as a second ID (especially if something happens to the passport).<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Rex

I have never been to Europe since I was 16 that I didn't rent a car.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>