Search

Why Skye?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Skye?

My wife and I want to spend two nights outside of the cities (Edinburgh & Glasgow)and wonder if Loch of Lochalsh or Skye might be a smart location for our base? Skye seems to be very popular on these threads and I was wondering why. Scenery? Tourist sights? Also, is there a recommended place to stay in this area where it will be relatively flat for easy bicycle riding?
If so, any recommended B&B's or hotels under 80 - 100 pounds per night?
Much thanks
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:31 AM

Scenery, calmness, greenery, a tremendous whisky distillery (Talisker).
We stayed at Viewfield House a couple of years ago. Excellent place to be, lovely rooms, good kitchen, interesting chats with the owner, wonderful spot.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Baldrick.

Do you happen to recall the terrain? Is it very hilly or can one ride a bike for a while. I use it for exercise and a way to take in the beauty without walking (slight disability).
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Noone in their right mind could describe Skye as flat

It has the grandest scenery, and that, I think, is the reason for its enduring popularity. Toursist sites, less so, tho' there are some asa consequence of the huge tourist numbers (everything's relative).

I'm tempted to suggest somewhere like St Fillans, or Kenmore; or Balqhidder in the southern Highlands. Or Fife with its miles of cycle trails and lovely fishing villages.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 11:56 AM

Skye is glorious - but it is a mountainous Island. Not a lot of flat roads around.

Given your limitations and "wants" Sheila's suggestion of somewhere in Fife is an excellent one. Staying somewhere like Crail would put you in a wonderful area of palaces, gardens, fishing villages, beaches, castles, St Andrews and relatively flat terrain.

Another area that would meet your needs would be somewhere in the area west of Stirling. Balqhiddar, Aberfoyle, Callander, the Lake of Menteith or any number of other nearby villages.