Why London? - Flame Away

Oct 11th, 2002, 10:11 AM
CoachBoy

Why London? - Flame Away

I've been everywhere in Europe except for Great Britain - born in Italy, spent summers abroad etc...

However, I've never been to London and have no particular desire to go. I feel really weird about this.

As far as I can tell, England has two major drawbacks:

1. Bad Food. Yes, it's improved apparently, but unless you spend $$$, I've never heard of anyone going to England for a gastronomic tour.

2. Bad Weather. I moved from NYC to LA because I prefer sunny and warm to rainy and cold.

3. Warm Beer.

When I travel, I enjoy an occasional museum/church, but don't like to jam to much in. My parents did that to me when I was a child. Yes, London has great museums and theatre. But neither of those are incentive enough to visit.

What are people's favorite things about London/England?

CoachBoy

Oct 11th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Rich

Well . . If you don't like the musuems, don't like the food, and don't like the beer. . . I don't think you will want to go.

Rich

Oct 11th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Rick

Coachboy

Stay home - your bad attitude will ensure you hate London if you go.

Oct 11th, 2002, 10:24 AM
need

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to not want to go to London (many of us find it less enjoyable than other locations in Europe), but ignorance is not one. Food of all types available, the weather can be wonderful, and the beer is divine (though it takes a little adjustment). Next time you decide to troll, don't reveal your ignorance from the outset.

Oct 11th, 2002, 10:26 AM
ohyeah?

1. Bad food is a myth. Lots of good food, both English and ethnic can be had
2. Some of the most glorious weather I have ever enjoyed is spring time in England
3. If you want cold beer it is readily available.

So, quite bluntly CoachBoy, you are full of crap.

Oct 11th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Grasshopper

I dragged my feet about going to London too. I nearly always opt for warmer, more Mediterranian climates. And I was surprised to find out how much I loved it. It's an exciting, world class city with lots to interest everyone. For the record there is also some great food there. Spend a long weekend. Get out into the neighborhoods. Walk along the river. I'm glad I tried it and have been half a dozen times since.

Oct 11th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Tealover

Well, Coachboy, if your main reasons for traveling anywhere are the fine cuisine, the glorious weather and cold beer, you may want to stay way from the UK altogether. Being more interested in cultural and historical pursuits, I have always loved the fascinating history that lurks around seemingly every London corner; the monuments, the legends, the fine art and architecture, and the music and theater to be enjoyed everywhere. Furthermore, Londoners have always seemed to me relatively gracious and friendly, something that not every world metropolis can boast. This is, of course, only scratching the very surface of London's appeal. Even with its modernization, London still seems to me timeless and welcoming. Even after 5 visits, this city remains my favorite one of all.

Every traveler has his own priorities; not every great city will appeal to every person equally. Although most people seem to enjoy their London visit, I know that not everyone can. And, by the by, London may not rate highly on the cuisine scale, but they still do afternoon tea very well! If you like that sort of thing, of course.

Oct 11th, 2002, 10:35 AM
coachboy

"Coachboy " started another crappy thread that was deleted. Just a troublemaker!

Oct 11th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Tealover

Correction: I agree with the above posters regarding London food not being as bad as reputation has it. Also, I take back what I said about UK food in general - I haven't visited enough of the UK to make a fair assessment of that. So sorry if I upset anyone with my thoughtless comment!