why in Italy

Jan 4th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

why in Italy

I went to USA for my Christmas holidays and I visited Florida where I spent one week.
I liked it very much.
Now I cannot understand why so many American tourists come to Italy when they have so wonderful places in their Country.
Happy New Year.

Vincenzo
Jan 4th, 2004, 05:34 AM

We have a saying..The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence..

That might explain it!
Jan 4th, 2004, 05:37 AM

Why did you come to the US when you have som many wonderful things in Italy?

For me its the different culture that I love.
Jan 4th, 2004, 06:02 AM

What sticks out for me is "history"...we don't have anything here that is very old and in most cases we tear it down and build new.
Jan 4th, 2004, 06:17 AM
ira

Hi Vincenzo,

Glad you enjoyed your USA trip.
Jan 4th, 2004, 06:23 AM

I went to Florida a dozen times as a kid and older and had a lot of fun. I've also been to 45 of the 50 states and the District of Columbia.

I was ready for something a little different so I started going to Europe.

I still travel here just not as much. I went to Boston last year for the first time and had a great time. But rather than go back to Boston next year I think I'll go someplace in Europe.

BTW, come on back to the US and spend those tourist dollars nows a great time for you to do it.
Jan 4th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Maira

Vincenzo-- glad you enjoyed your trip to the USA. Hope you come back soon and get to enjoyed other parts of the US as well.

As far as your comment, Thank God there are many, many great places in this planet to be enjoyed, not only one.

Jan 4th, 2004, 07:42 AM

Vincenzo, I live in Florida 200 meters from the ocean but love to travel your native country. Do you not live somewhere on the Amalfi coast. Perhaps we can work out a trade.
Jan 4th, 2004, 07:48 AM

grimmy took the words right out of my mouth!
I was thinking the same thing. Why come here when Italy is so grand. When I was in Rome a local man asked me where I was from. When I told him I was from California, his exact words were "Oh, you live in paradise". I was floored!! I told him that HE was the one living in paradise. The mere thought of returning to California from Italy gave me the shakes.
Vincenzod, you are truly blessed to live in one of the greatest places on earth!!
Jan 4th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Vincenzo -
Happy New Year!
So happy to hear you enjoyed your trip to Florida. I live in Florida and love it here. Travel for me is enjoyment, education and experiencing other cultures (often which includes different cultures in the USA - as they too can be very varied).
Many more wonderful travels to you!
LindyE
Jan 4th, 2004, 11:20 AM
rfb

Vincenzo,

Didn't you eat while you were in Florida? If you had, you wouldn't have needed to ask this question.

Jan 4th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Vincenzo, the answer to your question for me is: the art, the architecture, the food, the wine, the gelato, the coffee, the landscape, the people.
Jan 4th, 2004, 06:11 PM

Vincenzo, glad you enjoyed Florida. As someone who's lived in or visited a variety of places (Californa, Texas, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Massachussetts, Florida, Washington, DC), I can say that all these different regions of the U.S. have some pretty unique ways of doing things and looking at things. I enjoyed travelling to different regions of the U.S. However, although there are subtle differences, there is also much that is the same.

I haven't travelled as much internationally, but the one thing that stood out from my trip to England is certain things are much more different than anything in the U.S.

I look at it kind of like going out to dinner. If all you get in Chinese food at home, when you go out you would be more likely to pick Mexican or Italian food. This is why I'm looking forward to our trip to your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks.

Lil
Jan 4th, 2004, 08:34 PM

I agree there are many nice places in the US to visit here in the US. But maybe you are so accustomed to being in Italy that you don't see what we see. Like I live in San Francisco and although it's a nice city I wonder what all the fuss is about.
Jan 5th, 2004, 05:50 AM

The USA simply doesn't have drop dead gorgeous churches on every block full of art work by the masters. Even small towns in Italy had beautiful churches. Neither do we have too many ancient ruins.
Jan 5th, 2004, 05:03 PM

I was thinking about this in the last few days. Are the people who live steps away from the Forum, the Pantheon, and such, unmoved by them? Are there Florentine's who have never been to the Uffizi? Is there anyone in Tuscany who actually prefers beer to wine? These things seem rediculous to me! Though, I imagine there may be some truth to them and there are certainly similar situations here in the U.S. - and likely everywhere.

I am in love with Italy, for it's culture, it's history, it's art, it's gelato...

It has so much to offer that is different from my home here in the U.S., and that is not to say that I don't adore where I live, because I do. I live in the Pacific Northwest and it is gorgeous (though not right now, it's freezing and snowing). There is so much variety in landscape and activities - we have the most beautiful weather in September. (Though I believe this is true with Italy as well.)

...And Hawaii, I lived there too. I miss the "liquid sun" that mists you on a hot summer day and cools you as the trade winds blow...Can you believe I never made it to the Arizona Memorial? I lived there, there would always be time, but I never did go.

...And New Orleans, hot, sultry, sexy New Orleans, charms you. Fun place to visit.

Washinton D.C. with the Mall and the Smithsonians! I loved when friends and relatives would visit so we could go there! I've never been the the White House though.

I suppose the reason why I love exploring Italy, is because I have been nearly everywhere that I have an interest in going in the U.S. But you are correct - the U.S. has lots to offer for domestic and international travelers alike! I just love to travel, something I have been enjoying all my life.

I am thrilled you enjoyed yourself!
Jan 5th, 2004, 09:54 PM

francophile03, I felt the same way while I lived there. But you don't really appreciate California and S.F. until you've gone away for a while. I remember I would just walk the streets, just soaking up the weather, the ambience after being away for a while...
Jan 5th, 2004, 11:50 PM

This is such an interesting phenomenon. When I lived in Southern California, I dreamed of visiting the South of France. Now that I'm living in Provence, I dream of the easy life in So Cal. Are there people who think the grass is greenest in their own yard?
Jan 6th, 2004, 12:47 AM
lyb

Francophile,

Do you really wonder what all the fuss about San Francisco is all about? Oh, my...talk about taking things for granted! I live in Sacramento and go to San Francisco about every 2 months or so, sometimes more. I have friends who live in the area, plus I'm a photographer.

San Francisco is beautiful and dramatic, it's alive and so very different. I lived in Monterey for 5 years and I always realized how wonderful it was, though, I have to admit that in rushing around to and from work and doing errands on Saturday, I sometimes would forget to enjoy it. When I decided to move back to L.A., I took a weekend to drive down the Big Sur Coast. I stopped at a look out and was looking at the gorgeous coast when I heard some tourists say that the view was like what you saw in the movies! It made me stop and enjoy it even more, because I realized that I had lived where some people would only get the opportunity to visit perhaps once in their lives.

So, I strongly suggest that this weekend or next, take the day and be a tourist in your own town and enjoy San Francisco, I know I'll be there next weekend and I'll enjoy your city.
Jan 6th, 2004, 01:39 AM

I love this thread! Yes, Italy is wonderful but so are many (if not most) places in their own unique ways.

Vincenzo, I am very happy you enjoyed our country.

I have met Italians (and other Europeans) who have no interest in coming to America b/c there is 'nothing they want to see". My first thought is always "Boy, are you ignorant", just as when I meet an American who has no interest in traveling beyond the US borders.

The bottom line? There are wonderful places in each corner of the globe!

cheers,
Jan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO