Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Why Do Apartment Rentals Charge by the Person?

May 18th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

I was just wondering, when you rent an apartment in a European city they charge according to how many people are there. Why would it make a difference if there were 2 people or 3 people as long as there were beds for them. The apartment is being used as a whole anyway?

Just curious.
May 18th, 2007, 09:28 AM

well - most don't do that.

But if you mean where a flat is priced say €500 for 2 and an extra €10 per day for an extra person or something like that -- it is for making up the extra bed and extra towels/linens.
May 18th, 2007, 09:34 AM

yes, exactly -- apts do not charge per person, I've never seen such a thing. The only thing I've seen is a slight surcharge for many people, and I'm sure that is due to the wear and tear, cleaning, etc. Are you saying you found an apt. that has a very large per person charge, not just a small surcharge? That would be more like a hostel or something.
May 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM

I found the same thing when I started looking for an Amsterdam apartment rental about 6 months ago. It seemed like the rate was based on dbl occupancy with an additional 30-50 euro pppn above that.
May 18th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Lots of places in Switzerland charge by the number of persons. Basic charge for 2, additional for 3, 4, etc. But these are not "by owner" flat rentals.
May 18th, 2007, 12:20 PM

Hotels certainly charge by the person but in my search for apartments I haven't seen that in Italy.
May 18th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

This is what I was referring to. I have seen something like this type of pricing for a number of other apartments.

RENTAL RATES:

La Cigale:

As listed previously in the website the basic rental rate for two adults is $1750.00 US per week. This amount can be pro-rated for longer or shorter rental periods. Minimal stays are 4 nights. The amount for two adult couples would be $2250.00 per week and again would be pro-rated for longer of shorter stays.

Special family rates are available. Thus when mom and dad are paying the whole amount, the rate is $2000.00 US per week, which again can be pro-rated f or longer or shorter stays.

We do have special rates for stays of a month or longer.
La Cigogne:

The rental rates for La Cigogne begin at $1500.00 US per week for a couple. The family rate is $1750.00 US. The rate for 2 adult couples is $2000.00 US per week. Rates can be pro-rated for longer and shorter stays. Minimal stays are 4 nights.

We do have special rates for stays of a month or longer.

May 18th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Utility consumption?
May 18th, 2007, 01:07 PM

as I said - extra beds, extra linens, plus the extra hot water etc.

If a couple is renting a flat - 1 bed, 2 sheets/pillow case sets, 4 towels and 2 showers a day. The sofa sleeper (or 2nd bedroom) won't be made up.

if two couples - then 2 beds, 4 sheets/cases, 8 towels, and 4 showers. All that makes a big difference.

You could consider it a discount for only two.

Often a 2 bedroom flat will be one price for 4 people, plus X amount for each add'l person.

May 18th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Also in countries like Germany, Austria and Switzerland, the local community often levies a tourist tax, per person per night, so apartment owners/agencies have to cover that as well.
May 18th, 2007, 03:48 PM

There's also a concept of additional wear and tear - the higher is the occupancy, the higher utility use, more linens used, higher chances of breakages, using up provided supplies, etc. I've seen quite a few homes on VRBO and VacationInParis having these tiered rates for 2,4 6, etc adults.

We generally don't charge for extra guests in our US vacation rentals, but quite often offer a discount if there's only 1 or 2 people staying for the same reason - less wear and tear on the house, less supplies used, less wear on the septic, etc.

Another line of reasoning I have heard is that 2 or more couples traveling together can split the cost and thus are better able to bear the higher rates then one family paying for the entire apartment by themselves. I am not a big fan of this line of thinking myself, but can see some logic in it.
May 18th, 2007, 03:54 PM

I have to agree completely with Maureencol, I have been looking at most major apt. agency sites for Rome and I don't think I have seen one that did not charge by the number of people.

dave
May 18th, 2007, 04:20 PM

OK - maybe it is a semantics thing. Few apartments charge €(XX) per person. They have a set charge, say for 2 people in a 1 bdrm, and then a small additional charge for each additional person.

For instance a flat is €550 for 2, and €10 per night for each add'l person. So for 7 days that would come to €690 for 4 people. If it was priced per person you be looking at €275 per person or €1100.

The base price for the flat for 2 is €550, the two extra people only cost €140 . . . .
May 21st, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Well, thanks for your replies. I guess the wear and tear on the apartment with more people. But in the case I noted, it is an extra $250 per person which would account for a lot of extra sheets!

I was just wondering since I usually stay in hostels, which is the only way I can afford to travel. It would be nice to rent an apartment for a week when I travel with others but with the extra charges, it looks like that too is a bit out of my budget. Oh well, I only use the hostel for sleeping so it probably doesn't matter as long as I get to go!!! :=)