Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Why Bottled Water in Restaurants in Europe? How's the tap water?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, granted I have not been to every single place in Europe, but I got to thinking. . . When I was first in France (Paris) in 1987, way before bottled water became popular in the U.S., it seemed that bottled water was always ordered in lieu of regular tap water. And this continues to this day with many more trips to Europe. Is no tap water drunk at tables? Or is it just me?

Does anyone know when this began? AND Is it OK to just ask for regular tap water? Any concerns?
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 12:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
perfectly ok to ask for tap water in most places.

some very upscale places may not like you to have it, but I've never found that to be a problem as I don't go to them.

in france - "un carafe d'eau" should do it.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM
ira

Hi K,

IME tap water in major cities in Europe is as safe and tastes better than in most US cities.

It is OK to drink tap water.

Why are the Europeans so hooked on bottled water? Same reasons that it is popular here.

Old Jun 26th, 2010, 01:05 PM

I've never understood why you need water when all that wonderful wine is available!!!
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 01:15 PM

One reason some people prefer the bottled water is that tap water, while perfectly safe to drink, has additives that vary from place to place. Those with sensitive stomachs stick to bottled water.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Underhill - "Additives"? Examples?
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 01:20 PM

Chlorinated, perhaps?
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Just ask for a carafe of water. I think bottled water, fizzy or still, has been popular in Europe for eons. It's just the custom there.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 01:25 PM

It seems in some places they are more willing to serve you the tap water, in France I can almost always get "carafe d'eau". On my last trip it was difficult in Italy - which is really odd because I think at least Romans are proud of their drinkable water in fountains thru out the city but several restaurants just refused. It gripes me - must be a good source of profit for them.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 01:30 PM

To get back to the original question, it's no secret that for a lot of restaurants, it's drinks that contribute most to their profits. With a typical mark-up of 300% for both alcoholic and soft drinks, restaurants expect people to order drinks with meals. While it's usually ok to order a carafe d'eau together with wine, beer, soft drink or bottled water, don't be surprised to get a frosty look if you only ask for tap water. This is particularly so with tourists who are unlikely to return. If you are a regular well known to the place, ordering just tap water now and again to keep the tab low would be quite acceptable.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 02:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My trips to Europe involve time staying with friends who live there. When we are in restaurants, they always order a bottle or two of water for the table (still or fizzy). It just seems like accepted local custom, so it's what I do as well.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 02:58 PM

We always order bottled water in restaurants (DH likes fizzy, I like still) but during the day when we are out and about we will fill up our own bottles from the hotel tap and carry those around with us.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Seems a waste, as it is here in the U.S., to pay for water, and to use all these bottles that are either need to be recycled or thrown away.

But, now that I know how to order tap water in France, I will be doing it! Of course, I frequently order "Coca Cola Light". (Which costs a fortune.)
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Tap water is perfectly safe almost everywhere - not sure about St Pet. but in many places the taste is not great - often has a chemical taste. And tap water will get you cool water - not ice water with ice cubes - so we always go for bottled water which will be very cold - and won;t taste like chemicals or earth.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree that in France it is much more common to ask for and receive tap water than it is in Italy, where they frequently seemed puzzled by the request.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
water is fine in France but I do like the bottled Bandoit.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 01:16 AM

I find Germany a different kettle of fish actually almost being RUDE when you ask for tap water. Some German acquaintance told me you only ask for a glass of water to take a pill.. NOT to consume heavily at the restaurant.

Any natives here to add anything? How can we, who do not drink beer, wine or soft drinks, have our water from the tap with out causing a scene in many German restaurants?
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 03:06 AM

As I've said, there is nothing wrong with tap water in most parts of Europe - perfectly drinkable. Except that it's not a tradition in many countries to order one in a restaurant. Partly due to custom, but mainly to do with the fact that drink prices are usually inflated to give the restauranteur a good profir margin, which in many cases goes on to subsidise the foot prices, esp for a set menu. So you normally order a drink with meals, and in addition, you can ask for a jug of tap water.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 03:21 AM

There is another thread going on tap water in Rome
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...estaurants.cfm

If you search for "tap water" you will find a surprising number of threads about tap water vs. bottled water in other countries
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 03:49 AM

If you are on a low sodium diet you should probably not order bottled water - many bottled waters have a surprisingly high sodium content. Indeed many have far more bacteria and dangerous chemicals in them than the local tap water does, due to differences in the laws for each.
In France last month they nearly always brought a carafe of water to the table along with the bottle of wine we ordered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -