Who'g going to Italy in October?

Jun 16th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Deb

Who'g going to Italy in October?

Just read the Bob & Carol's Rome report posting and noticed many people going to Italy in October. My husband & I are going then as well. Care to share some info in case we 'run into each other'? Here's the info for us.

Dates? - 10/10/01 - 10/24/01

Leaving from? - Florida - thru Atlanta (Delta)

Itinerary? - Rome, Tuscany (biking in Chianti area, + extra days in Cortona), Venice

Interests? - Food, wine, local shopping (small quaint shops), hiking, biking, people meeting & watching, etc.

Jun 16th, 2001, 06:58 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Deb, Based on comments and inquries I have received, it seems that 18% of the world population will be going to Tuscany in Oct. Somehow it has become high season for Tuscany. My wife and her High School friends will be there as well---I plan to join them at the end of their sojourn and continue with her for another week. Hope to see you in Atlanta in Sep. for the Fodorite get-together.

Jun 16th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Betsy

Count my husband and me in that18%. San Francisco, to Paris to CT, Florence, Rome, Amalfi Coast, Venice. We'll be there for five weeks. Anybody want to meet for a glass or two of vino somewhere? Suggest Florence on the 8, 9 or 10th; Rome on the 19, 20 or 21st; or Venice on the 26, 27, 28th. I'll be wearing my Fodor's pin (or rather my husbands--never received mine). Let's do it!

Jun 16th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Byrd

There will be 10 Alabamians in Rome, Tuscany, and Venice in October! Our schedule is still not totally nailed down, (we've had some crises, including a terrible fire in one couple's home) but we'll be there! I hope we can arrange a little get together for a glass of wine.

Byrd

Jun 16th, 2001, 09:30 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Betsy, Five weeks ! I am so jealous.
We did 8 weeks from Spain to Prague 3 years ago. It is a different experience when you spend that much time. You become temporary Europeans. BTW, I enjoyed Bob and Carols report, but I am still waiting to hear from Ted and Alice.

Jun 16th, 2001, 04:49 PM
topper

To the top.

Jun 16th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Betsy

Oh Bob the N, you make me laugh. Let me know when T and A show up.

Where do you think I learned how to "do" Italy? You've taught me so much!

When/where are you going? Check out the dates in my earlier post. Care to join us for vino?

Jun 17th, 2001, 10:37 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Betsy, We will be in the Lucca area on 12 & 13, but then north to Verona and then Castelrotto and Munich. BTW, be careful using T & A as initials. It can mean more than just Ted & Alice. The girls will be San Gim.on 9,10,11.

Jun 17th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Gail

Well, count me in! Italy is always calling us back.... Just returned in May from a week in Provence and three weeks in Italy. We're so "homesick" for our Italia that we're goin' back in Sept.-Oct.

Just finalizing plans and of course waiting for airfare sales in mid-July (I hope), but so far will be in Rome Sept. 21 - 29 (at Bob's Residenza San Pantaleo!) and then Cortona for a week or so. From there we'll go to Sorrento and that's as far as I've gotten. I like to drag-out the planning stage - part of my fun! We've stayed at the Hotel Desiree in Sorrento twice in the past and love the location, but might like to try something new. Any suggestions under $100/night, double with bath?

Looking forward to meeting Fodorites at the Atlanta gathering in Sept., and doing the same in Italy would be a special treat!

Buon Viaggio to all!

Jul 4th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Deb

Betsy, It looks like we'll be passing each other either from or to a particular city. Our dates are:

Rome - 10/11/01 - 10/13/01
Tuscany (Biking - Chianti/Gaiole(sp?)/San G. area) - 10/14/01 - 10/18/01
Cortona area - 10/19/01 - 10/21/01
Venice - 10/22/01 - 10/24/01

We are getting sooooo excited! Only 14 weeks to go, but who's counting?

DFW 7/4/01

Jul 5th, 2001, 07:06 AM
dan woodlief

Planning on two weeks - 5 days Rome, 3 days Florence, 3 days Venice, maybe Siena - starting with October 8 flight. Because of airfare prices may switch to early November.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 06:52 PM

ttt

Sep 4th, 2001, 06:32 AM
dan woodlief

Will be in Venice on the nights of October 14-16, Florence 17-20, and Rome 21-25. Betsy and I have tentatively planned to get together on the 21st in Rome if anyone else is interested. Would prefer to stick to the one event to retain flexibility in my travel schedule.

Sep 4th, 2001, 06:40 AM
Betsy

Thanks for updating, Dan. Looking forward to the 21st in Roma. Anyone else?

Sep 4th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Jessica

This is my first time responding and I am getting married in Positano, Italy on October 12th. My parents and fiance's parents and about 15 other friends and family members will be with us. Wow, it is right around the corner and I am incredibly excited. Most of us have never been to Italy and I send my regards and thank yous to all the Fodorites for their valuable info.

My fella' and I will be in Rome and Positano for two weeks while the others will be there for one week. Wish us luck!!!

Sep 4th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Dale

Will be in Rapallo from 22 Sept to 27 Sept, then to somewhewre in Umbria for a week. (Spello or Bevagna or Montefalco or Trevi?) To Rome from 4 to 8 October.
Gail: look up the website for Onda Verde in Priano, halfway between Amalfi and Positano. Stayed there a year or so ago with great pleasure.

Sep 4th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Gail

Jessica - much happiness to you both and what a beautiful place to start your life together.....we're going back for the 3rd time and our 34th anniversary!

Dale - thanks for the Priano hotel rec. but have booked our little Hotel Desiree in Sorrento again. We were in Rapallo in May and that is one of our favorite areas. Soooo beautiful.

Aren't we lucky to be going to this magical place?!

Safe journey to all....

Sep 4th, 2001, 03:59 PM
alea

I'll be there too...Milan, Venice, Florence, Rome, Portofino beginning October 3rd. I'll be on a land/cruise vacation unfortunately. I so envy those of you who know your way around Italy. I'm traveling alone, so needed security of a group. Hope someday to meet people who know the area and like to have people come along with them!
I'm pretty new to this. What is a Fodor's pin? How do you get it? And, tell me about Fodorite gettogethers.
Thanks!

Sep 4th, 2001, 04:56 PM
hope

We also expect to be in italy in Oct. (Venice, Trieste, Sardinia) but this post is for Jessica:

MAZEL TOV!!!!!

We went to the best wedding ever, of Jeff & Michelle in Ravello this past May. We were so fortunate to have been one of about 45 friends & relatives at this special occasion... we even chatted with Gore Vidal!! It was beautiful, everything was wonderful. Hope your experiences are all
that and more.

Cento anni......

Sep 8th, 2001, 03:45 PM
David

We are also going to be in Italy in October 19-30. Venice (19,20), Rome (21), Florence (22,23), Tuscany (24,25,26), Portofino (27,28) and Milan (30). A little bit of a whirlwind tour but a nice chance to get away from the Florida heat.