Who uses this site for quiet down time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On weekends? Are you here strickly for info or is it a relaxing thing for you? Mine is a combination. When I am about to travel I am on here more asking , some may say, too many questions
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 07:06 AM
ira

I do.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 07:08 AM

I'm here for info, as well as relaxing. I just enjoy reading about travel....period...whether I'm planning a trip or not.

I do notice, however, the board is much slower on the weekends, vs. weekdays.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 09:37 AM
rex

Slower on weekends? Maybe in the summer, and on Saturday afternoons and evenings (US east coast time). One of the most active periods for this forum is right after January 1, lasting a month or more, and Sundays are very, very active here, especially in the evening.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 09:46 AM

I do. I think of it as a hobby.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 09:55 AM

Down time and research. Also I just enjoy reading the questions and silly answers
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 12:12 PM

Downtime? Not when I'm running back & forth from my bookcase...looking up street addresses, hotel names, restaurant hours, ferry schedules, etc....so that I can post an answer!!!
Really, I like the detective work!!!
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 01:10 PM
dln

LOL Bailey! I do more cruising around my (extensive and disorganized) travel file bookcase looking for answers to questions than I ever dreamed. I've found that I can never entirely trust my memory of a place so I always try to double check in my notebooks, magazines, or books before I start typing. And I feel like a secretary with all the notetaking I do from all the recommendations I receive! However, like Scarlett, I do like all the silly bits that are lodged in between all the travel bits. I should, since I a major contributor (offender?). So it is, for me, both relaxing and entertaining.

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 01:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the board for information. I like reading about places I intend to go. It also gives me ideas on places I never thought much about going.

There are many knowledgable people on here who dispense info, and every now and then when I can "help", I try to do so. I also try to interject a little humor (key word being little).

On the other side, I also think that some posters feel they are rather "aloof" and can make some really pompous statements, while others basically can get nasty with their comments (which is pretty funny considering none of us really know anything about anyone else). I will sometimes throw out a little zinger at them, not in anger, but in an attempt (probably futile) to let them see what they wrote really wasn't very nice.

I think some posters should look at their words before posting, because I will bet that they wish more than a few of their comments could be retracted. Others, I am sure, don't care.

By the way JandaO, you do come up with some clever questions that make people think.

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 03:27 PM

DIN
Maybe we should have been travel agents...consultants...at least I'd have an office to house this stuff!!
I do keep a notebook next to the computer...with tags marking the places I plan to visit ....it now has 7 categories.....
When will it ever end.....??
MAITAITOM
Thoughtful comment!!
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 03:46 PM

Amen, Maitaitom!
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 05:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It is when a ball game is on, But I worry about newbies that we try not to be too clubby and avoid inside jokes that make them feel left out.
Í dropped my monkey(fictional) because of that and never mention my real dog unless someone asks. The play on words or titles give the funniest responses and no one gets left out.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 05:19 PM

OK, I admit it. I'm hooked. I'm going to London at the end of the month and found this site in July. I check in once a day for London info., but the truth is, I spend a lot of time just reading. Last night, both myself and husband were laughing hysterically over the bidet question.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 05:45 PM

Maitaitom, do you think I will be Pompous when I grow up

dln, Bailey, I thought that I was the only one, rushing around the house to find that journal that I wrote on that trip that has all the great bistros where one can eat for a dollar!
Or that list of the best lingerie shops in Paris and Jacksonville
Now I have to start copying your style, a little book with little markers next to the computer, Pup (sorry, Mimi) will help me.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 05:48 PM

Yes, both I would say. But overall, this site is my escape from the everyday humdrum. It is the internet at its best...getting a chance to communicate with folks from virtually everywhere, and that golden opportunity to realize that, once all is said and done, the world is really very small, in human terms. We're all so very much alike and different at the same time. Which ultimately makes the human experience the same all over the planet. Good is good and bad is bad, though gray is abundant as well.

Okay, I'll stop now!
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 07:06 PM
dln

janT, how well said.

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 09:23 PM

My husband complains that I don't spend enough time with him...because I'm also on this board.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 09:46 PM

I don't think anyone, yourself included, is asking too many questions (I even like the ones that get people all riled up). It's entertaining to learn from people's answers to questions and even just to watch the dynamics between people when strangers communicate. It's all just for fun, after all it's a leisure activity, so hopefully no one is taking it too seriously. Then again, how you come across isn't always the easiest thing to predict and I figure I've probably come off as pompous as anyone else.

I'm only on here usually for a few minutes, working up a sleep mood. That's generally enough to catch up.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 03:09 AM

I, also, will be traveling to London the end of September. I am a first-time overseas traveller - while I have been to Canada and Mexico. I am having my first "holiday" overseas. I have found this Forum to be of incredible value (Thanks to Ben Haines, etc.).

I realize you "old timers" get bored and, from some of my posts, even frustrated (one gentleman seemed annoyed), but I am not a "troll" - just inexperienced.

I want to thank all those who have replied to my posts and let you all know what a service you regulars provide to we, as beginners. I have had so many informative answers to questions that, at least in my readings, are not handled in Fodor's and other guides.

You are all a valued resourse. I am sure I will continue to read the Europe Forum even after I return from abroad. (Gosh, it sounds worldly to be able to say that! (grin))

Thanks to all,

Ron
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

I love all of your answers. And Maitaitom, thanks for your kind words. I get alot of pleasure on this board.
So much good info and some good chuckles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -