Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Who here could care less about theater (plays and musicals)?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:49 AM
uncultured

I'm not a "Broadway" fan. I think plays and musicals are just ok, and I wouldn't travel very far to see one. Do you travel to see plays, musicals, etc., or do you make that type of entertainment part of you itinerary?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:58 AM
s

I am also one that the theater does not excite me. We much prefer to wander cities/towns and see the historical sights and soak up the atmosphere.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Alan

Musicals are just OK, but I enjoy seeing dramatic plays onstage. I've seen a lot of great productions in London that are less expensive and more interesting than the latest musical. One exception was seeing Evita years ago. It was one of the best theater experiences I've had. I wouldn't travel somewhere just to see a play, but if I'm in London I like to see some theater.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Bree

I traveled to London (from New York) last summer, specifically to see the new Tom Stoppard trilogy at the National Theatre. In 1996, I went to London to see Diana Rigg in a revival of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. I live in New York City, and go to the theatre a lot (30-40 times a year), but I'll make a point of going to London if there's something I really want to see that may not make it to New York. And no, I don't work in the theatre -- I just love it.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:58 AM
xxx

No, I don't make plays and musicals part of my European trips.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:37 AM
kate

Well clearly it has everything to do with what you're interested in, but I suspect that most people would go to the theatre in London (I presume you're talking about London) while they happen to be there, rather than make a special trip.

That said, I'm sure there's loads of people who are particular fans of theatre who'll make a special trip to London just for that, just like people would make a special trip to Milan or Verona to visit the opera.

If you think that Britain is to literature and the dramatic arts what Italy is to fine art and Opera, then of course some people will make a special trip.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:43 AM
raisin

i think the answer to this question obviously has a lot to do with one's financial status. as a recent college graduate with loans to repay, i don't have the luxury of flying somewhere with the primary purpose of seeing theatre/musical--and yes, i thoroughly enjoy them!!!

but, if i was in town and a play/musical was showing for a reasonable price, i would go and watch because isn't that part of the cultural experience?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:48 AM
iii

This raises an interesting question, which probably has no correct answer: Is a city great because there is a lot to do, or is it great because of what it is (historic, great atmosphere/architecture). London has a lot of things to do, not unlike New York, but it doesn't have the "feel" of, say, Paris (IMHO).

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Anon

If you do not care at all about something, the correct prase is "couldn't care less," i.e., there is no way you could possibly care less than you already do. (Which is not at all.)

That said, I dislike most big Broadway musicals, but enjoy dramatic plays and the ballet. Although I don't plan my trips around them, I will try to see a couple of performances if they coincide with my timing. Particularly because tickets can be much cheaper, and the selection better, than what is available at home. It is also often interesting in itself to see the interior of the theaters in which the performances take place. However, to each his or her own.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:44 AM
aj

Yes, I would travel to London. My husband gave our family a trip to London and great theater tickets to "My Fair Lady" for a Christmas gift! We are leaving Wed for Paris and London. My grown daughters and son-in-law are excited about the play! But to each their own! For us the theater was what got the "ball rolling" on this trip.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Simone

I go to London twice a year just for the theatre.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Patrick

Many here who recognize my name (also on the US boards for New York theatre) will know that I do a lot of theatre in London and elsewhere. I have a degree in theatre, taught theatre for 9 years, headed national high school drama workshops for two universities, acted professionally in summer stock for five years, and continue to perform, direct, design, and do administrative duties with a major community theatre. So yes, theatre sort of consumes me. In fact if I had to give up theatre or travel, I'm not sure which I'd give up. To me they are very closely related.

But we all have different interests. Theatre just happens to be my main one along with travel.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 11:19 AM
theaterbuff

I live in south Jersey and wish I had the money to travel to NY more just to see the shows.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Beth2

Often the best part of my trip is a visit to the theatre or ballet! But, on the other hand, I would NEVER go to see the local sports team play. For example, a soccer game in Europe, or a west coast ballgame. Seeing a live stage performance (whether it's drama, ballet, music, or opera) makes my vacation as much as the fine dining and sampling of regional cuisines. To each his own!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 11:45 AM
vita

On my trip to London in May, I saw five plays. I hadn't intended on seeing so many, but at least one was definitely part of my itinerary. After seeing Art, I just kept going back for more. I also did a weekend trip to New York with my sister, the main purpose of which was to see a play.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Nance

I like plays but I dont like the quaint fire traps that have plays in London. We sat one night and figured out the stampede if there were smoke up a tiny flight of stairs to ground level.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Patrick

Yea, Nance, that's why they do the ritual in London of lowering the aspestos or fire curtain to the stage during "interval". That is supposed to reassure the audience that it is a safe theatre. Right!! I agree. I just can't think about what it would be like to get out if there were a fire.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Nance

Thanks for the agreement Patrick. I was a little afraid to post it as I was afraid to get flamed. It kind of takes away from the joy of the play if you can't stop thinking about fire hazards. I hope they do check them often, but with those tiny stairwells, I just don't know.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:38 PM
s

Raisin, I disagree...I do not think enjoying the theater has anything to do with financial status. At least for for my husband and I. We have been to London, had no desire to see any shows...yet could afford to see whatever we wanted to. I think it just comes down to if someone is interested in theater or not...and for us it just isn't something we are into.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:46 AM
sue

I am not at all interested in the theater (I also don't go to movies or watch TV very much). I travel mostly to visit historical sites and museums. And I like gardens, parks and scenery, too. The few times I have attended a play, or other performance, I found my mind wandering to what I did that day or what I plan to do the next day. They just don't seem to hold my interest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -