Who has been to Castello Banfi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw their website, and it looks spectacular! It seems as if you could almost spend an entire day there! (Though I'm sure if one did the most unforgettable headache the following day would be the result! <g&gt

Is this a "must see?" Did anyone have lunch or dinner there? I am considering for lunch, tasting and tour.

Thanks for any insight!
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Ummm...that smilie is not what I intended...
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 08:27 AM
donnabee

We had the five course wine tasting lunch. The food was very good and the place is nice. If you plan on doing a tour of the winery, I would do it before eating. After five full glasses of wine and a bunch of food, we were too tired to go on the winery tour.

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 10:39 AM

My sister and I had the wine pairing lunch there a year ago. The food was wonderful and so was the wine (as much of the wine as you wanted - we weren't limited to one glass). And the facility is very attractive. I highly recommend it!
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 01:14 PM

We have done that, but the lunch is pricey and takes almost 3 hours with 6 courses of vino--make sure you have a designated driver. It makes a good combo with the abbey at St. Antimo--there is a small road between the main roads about 7 km south of Montalcino.It is worth a stop!
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 02:26 PM
jmv

We did the $55 tasting lunch. We thought it good value. Each course is accompanied by a different Castello Banfi wine. I recall a proscuitto and melon course, a minestrone, slices of chianina beef (the Tuscan beef that is used for the best Bistecca Fiorentina) and Tuscan cookies. None of the food is gourmet-inspired or envelope pushing but it's good and goes well with the wines, which is afterall, what the meal is all about. There were a lot of people from the wine and restaurant trade there when we were there. We had signed up for the 4 p.m. tour (I think the only one they do in English, so trying to tour before lunch rather than after may be difficult) but gave it up since we had a long drive back to our hotel. The place is a bit difficult to get to and a bit "out of the way." We did stop for yet a couple more small wine tastings in their lovely and very large tasting room and saw their balsameria, aging room for balsamic vinegar. Did not go to the castle to see the wine bottle and glass exhibit which is apparently one of the largest in the world. Overall, I wouldn't call this a "must see" but we did find it a very pleasant experience and were glad we did it.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 02:42 PM

I agree with jmv, excellent value and if you don't believe me make note of the wines and when you return home compare the prices of the wines that are exported everywhere. Only problem is that really it is too much food and wine for lunch. We were there a year ago and weren't too impresses with the tour.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 01:14 PM
donnabee

We drove from Florence and didn't find it hard to find at all. The directions they give on their website was to the T.

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the opinions and advice!

I just saw a couple of bottles of their wine at my local grocery store and they were $23 and $17. I think I may buy one to try out - for fun.

Has anyone bought wines in Italy? (from Castello Banfi, even?) What are the prices and taxes/duty like? Did you ship or carry them with you?

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 03:21 PM

We carried home 6 bottles, some were wines we would have a hard time finding in US. But, most Bamfi wines are available here. Castello Banfi is well worth a visit. A special experience, we think a "must see". To us it was "Italy".
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 03:25 PM

Try their Centine wine. It's around $10 here in the States and it's veeeeeerrrrry good. It can be hard to find, so call around to avoid a wild goose chase.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 07:24 AM
donnabee

Unfortunately, they don't ship to the States. We bought about 8 bottles and just rolled them up in towels and put them in our suit cases.

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 02:29 PM

I too loved the Castello Banfi. Ate dinner there one night about 4 years ago. The drive up to the castle with the lights on the castle was magical. We had toured the winery before dinner. The guide told us (as I can recall) that the Castello Banfi is owned by Americans. It was the Americans that rehabbed the delapidated castle not that long ago. They did a nice job too!!

I have seen Banfi wines from time to time for sale in the states. I just loved the Chardonnay.