Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Who else has been stressing out over the Euros versus dollar thing?

Jun 30th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Lachelle

My girlfriend told me that she wouldnt travel with me if I kept worrying about thoses euros. Ive been watching that dollar drop like crazy for two months. I cant get ovet it. We aint rich and a 12% weaker dollar effects out budget big time. I also told Charlene, my girlfriend that I am not going to be eaten at Mickey D's to save money when we are over there neither.

Jun 30th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Canadian

One Euro costs us about $1.50 Canadian. What should we say? Just budget accordingly. You won't have to eat at fast food places. You can go to a bakery and buy a sandwich.

Jun 30th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Sue

Lachelle -

Your airfare was probably negotiated long before the drop against the Euro, so there's a big part of your budget that won't be affected.

Granted, noone likes to see the drop. I'd get the pain over with quickly, and drop a star category in my hotel choices and be done with it. You're right, you don't want to be nickeling and diming your way through your dining and sightseeing choices.

Jun 30th, 2002, 03:25 PM
$$$

When the Euro first was floated, the cost was 1.17 USD. No need to panic yet.

Jun 30th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Nicole

Lachelle,
McDonald's won't be the cheapest place to eat in Europe--actually it tends to be a bit more pricey than in North America. Don't know what countries you are planning to visit, but try and find places where locals are actually eating. One thing that my boyfriend and I have found travelling is that we don't rely on our guidebook for places to eat. Even if the guidebook, like lonely planet, says it's a budget place we can normally find someplace equivilant for cheaper. Also remember if you are on a budget you could try shopping in a grocery store. We always stop there to see what eat country has that they don't sell in North America. And we make a lot of our own meals when we can to save money. Hope this helps.

Jun 30th, 2002, 05:45 PM
nancy

I travel a lot and cheaply. Don't worry about the Euro vs the dollar. However, I wish I'd traveled to England when the dollar was worth 1 to 2 1/2 pounds!! Anyhow, if you let that get in your way you'll wind up staying home. You can eat very cheaply by confining a meal out to, perhaps, dinner or lunch, and maybe splurging on one really great meal during your trip. You can pick up picnic food to keep you going, which, in my opinion, is more fun.
P.S. I finally succumbed to Mickey Ds in London (so I could use the restroom) and it's just as awful as in the US and more expensive!