Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me choose an area--Normandy/ Brittany, western loire

Jun 30th, 2002, 11:24 AM
pete

I have the 1st week of my trip planned, and now am finalizing the 2nd week. Unfortunately, it is the 1st week of August when everyone else will be on vacation. I want to spend an active week--definitely doing some day long bike touring (perhaps even making it into a bike trip) and perhaps some hiking while also doing some of the typical sightseeing sites. I am also very interested in getting off the usual beaten tourist path and am interested in small charming rural villages etc. I have narrowed my choices down into 3 areas. I'd also like to base my decision on which area I'd be least likely to roast in (probably won't be looking at any air conditioning) and which one (if any) would be least crowded.
Here are my target areas, but I wouldn't be limiting myself to the towns mentioned, rather to the general vicinity. Should I choose the St. Malo/
Dinan/Mont St. Michel/Cancale area? Or the western fringes of the Loire Valley (Saumar going east a way)including the Loir valley etc. Or, the general vicinity around Rouen in along the Seine towards Paris as far as Giverny or a little east? I really would like help from those of you who have visisted these areas or lived in these areas. This trip I have decided to concentrate on one smaller region and slowing down while visiting it. Thank you.

Jun 30th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Rex

Savor these possibilities before you make any decision:

http://www.bienvenue-au-chateau.com/rechercher-gb.php

Best wishes,

Rex

Jun 30th, 2002, 12:46 PM
charles

why not visiting our web site .
we owned a family chateau between loire and normandy and we will be very happy to welcome you:
http://www.chateau-saintpaterne.com
a bientot

Jun 30th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Judy

Among your choices,I have stayed around St.Malo and Rouen areas for one week each seperatedly in last two years.

For active holiday,I think St.Malo area will be a better choice and being by the ocean, the weather will be more enjoyable. However,August being the busiest tourist month in Brittany will be the only drawback.

It is a lovely walk from St.Malo to Cancale(the capital of oyster,pretty little village) along the coast. From Cancale along the Pointe du Grouin is another good route. Or you could walk along the bay of M.S.M. Around the hill town of Dinan, there is a interesting walking too. They are about 4-5 hours easy walks.

Or you could travel a short distance to visit the Chateau in Fougeries. Jardins Du Montmarin near Dinard is very beautiful in the summer too.

On these walking routes,you won't have to pack lunches or worry about going hungry. Whereever you stop,you could always find good and cheap eating place.

www.tourismebretagne.com has many interesting ideas. One of their free brochures :"Randonnees nature En Bretagne" is very informative.

Jun 30th, 2002, 04:17 PM
up

up, for pete...

Jun 30th, 2002, 04:27 PM
up

just realized. i should have said for pete's sake!

Jul 1st, 2002, 07:18 AM
Lisa

Can't tell you much about Rouen or Mont St. Michel (although hubby wasn't terribly impressed with it), but I can tell you how much we enjoyed our visit to the Loire Valley. For biking, it would be pretty easy. It is mostly flat with rolling rises (I won't even call it hills). Could be good in August!

There are lots of quaint villages to stop and explore. Lots of chateaux with their grounds to visit. The food was fabulous. We also enjoyed visiting the wineries -- not like the wineries in the US, it is more like being welcomed into someone's home! It was very relaxing. It wouldn't be the place to go if you wanted nightlife, however.