Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Who couldn've guessed just how much the French LOVE Mickey D's?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Frank O. File

From time to time I’ve read a wee bit of chauvinism directed toward Americans who travel and admit to occasionally having to sneak in a meal at Burger King or Mickey D’s. Last spring I was in France and friends there gave me a pretty good ribbing about did I think I manage spending two weeks with them and not end up having to have a meal at McDonalds (Actually, I eat there two or three times a year, tops). The French disdain for this sort of dining is (supposedly) legendary.<BR><BR>I’ll be sending those friends a copy of this week’s Time magazine which has an article covering some of the business and financial woes that McDonalds is currently experiencing. In an effort to avoid copyright violation I will only give you a preview: More and more the French are going to McD’s in ever increasing numbers, to the extent that the corporation now feels that one of the brightest stars in their firmament resides in…well, you’ve guessed it!<BR><BR>My wife, who is one of those Americans who feel that nothing we can produce in this country can ever match the glitz and glory of France was scandalized by the article. Me? Well I am just slightly amused to see another stereotype bite the dust.<BR>

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Marsha

I'd just read the article and was going to post as Frank's thread appeared. Will wonders never cease? How will the French explain this one? How terribly gauche!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Patrick

I am not a lover of MacDonald's, but it was hard not to notice how busy they were this summer all over Europe -- and often in the least touristy places expected. We sat at a cafe in the square in Lecce, Italy on a weekday and spotted a MacDonald's across the way with a take out window. Local business people were lined up out the doors from the main counter and about 50 strong at the take out window. Every time we went by there it was the same thing, morning, noon, and night. Similarly in France.<BR>But on a related note, we ate lunch at Joe Allen's in Paris (basically an American "institution"). We were surprised that we were the only Americans we saw there, it was mostly filled with local business people. The most amazing thing was that virtually every one of those patrons was pouring Heinz catsup on their pommes frites. We decided that Parisians go their secretly to indulge in that "nasty" habit that is normally only attributed to Americans.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Zippy

I read this earlier and figured there would be some flaming going on. I think that the French o' philes on this site are shuffling their feet, whistling, and pretending not to see this thread.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 11:50 AM
xxx

This doesn't surprise me much. Every time I've been in a McDonald's in France I've heard far more French voices than English, or other. <BR><BR>If there's disdain among the French for McDonalds, I'd guess it's far greater among older French people as younger people are usually more willing to embrace different things.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Mano Man Ray

<BR>Same here. Some of my French-enamored friends told me that all the people going in and out of McDonalds were American tourists, which turns out to be total b.s.<BR><BR>Later I did a little survey for my own conclusions. I’d go in for a soft drink then hang out listening. Sure, in Paris there were Americans, but definitely in the minority. In other cities it was not uncommon to hear nothing but French. Just more inverted French snobbism that some Americans are more than willing to gobble up. The French are just pissed because they didn’t perfect the concept of quite an array of reasonably edible food served fast and cheap. If it’s American it must be inferior.<BR>

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Lesli

Here's my theory: (and it's just a theory, okay?) For the French, McDonald's is somewhat "exotic" and/or has the cachet of being "American", much like Levi's jeans.<BR><BR>For Americans, I don't quite understand going to a fast food joint you have access to at home when you've spent the time and money to get to one of the culinary capitols of the world. But that's just my take. I love French food. And I don't eat fast food, even at home.<BR><BR>Americans, French, and everyone else on the planet are free to eat whatever they please, wherever they please, in my book.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:37 PM
topper

TTT

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Igor

LESLI, of course your point is valid and beyond reproach. However, my “read” of the original post was perhaps pointing to a bit of the hypocrisy at work here. It really does seem to be a national pastime among the French to flame America on just about everything, particularly our diet, and specifically fast-food of which McDonalds is, at least symbolically, the zenith. Odd then that they should do such a fine, albeit clandestine, job of pouring money into Ronald’s pocket.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:07 PM
ppp

No surprise at all: MacDonalds, Marlboro Lights, Nike, Levis etc... are all very, very popular in France. <BR>Why? Major, big bucks advertising, especially towards kids. You can't stop it.<BR>I was very proud though, this summer, when my kids' buddies said: "Vos hamburgers sont beaucoup meilleurs que ceux de Mac Don&agrave;ld".