Reload this Page >

White Christmas?

Search

White Christmas?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 04:11 AM
andrew

White Christmas?

Just thought any visitors to the UK in the next week might like to know that it is apparently going to snow at the weekend especially in Scotland and the East of England (and yes that includes London) so we might get a white Christmas (first in 25 years). Beware though if you are travelling a long distance by car or rail, we're not really set up for snow so you could get delayed<BR><BR>Happy Christmas (or Happy Holidays as you say over there)<BR>Andrew

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 06:22 AM
Dayle

Happy Holidays to you too, Andrew! Thanks for the White Christmas report. Hope you all enjoy it!! Here in Park City, Utah, we've been in solid white since Thanksgiving Day (end of Nov) & we're loving it. We are definitely equipped for snow - the more the merrier. Visit us via TV for the Olympics!

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 06:26 AM
canuck

And here in Ontario, Canada where I live, we have had just one snowfall all year and don't expect a white Christmas. It's been incredibly mild ... by now we should have snow piled to our rooftops!

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 06:40 AM
Merry Christmas

Andrew,<BR><BR>A great many of us still say "Merry Christmas" and I'm one of them.<BR><BR>I've been wondering who might have hijacked "Merry Christmas" from our lexicon and made it into the innocuous politically correct "Happy Holidays".<BR><BR>Doesn't matter, it's still Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to me!<BR><BR>PS I live in Round Rock Texas and I can assure you there will be no "white holiday" of any sort here, Temps in the 60's. If they were not, I'd move further south:~))

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Carrie

I shall be up in the Austrian Alps (St. Anton) for Christmas and New Year so I am sure to have a White Christmas instead of dreaming of it!! <BR><BR>Merry Christmas everyone.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Barbara

Andrew, parts of Scotland, including Edinburgh, had a white Christmas last year.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 07:13 AM
andrew

Thanks for your messages. Canuck - Can't believe there's no snow in Ontario - talk about global warming! <BR>Dayle - We'll look out for you in Utah with the Olympics - MC - As for 60F in Texas - believe me any English person would swap that for the cold. I'm interested you still say Merry Christmas - shows any generalisations we make are often wrong<BR><BR>All the best<BR>Andrew<BR><BR>

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 07:23 AM
andrew

Barbara - no offence to the Scots by the way, lucky you! - it's just the bookies apparently only will pay up on a White Christmas if there's snow in London

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Grasshopper

Truth is, I usually stick to Happy Holidays. In my life there are Muslems, Hindis, Jews, Christians and agnostics. I wish them all a wonderful, peaceful season and there's nothing wrong with attempting to not offend anyone.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 07:33 AM
Jess

Merry Christmas, I hear you! I'm in Houston, TX and am enjoying a "cold spell" this time of year. High should be around 65 degrees. Hah!<BR><BR>But, in about a week and four days (not that I'm excited or anything...) I'll be able to witness firsthand the lovely cold weather in London and Edinburgh. Yeah! I'd love to see some snow, haven't seen it since I left Ohio five years ago. Save some snow for me! : )

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 07:44 AM
andrew

Jess<BR><BR>I remember your earlier questions - I hope you have a great time over here - don't forget the walk on the south side of the Thames!<BR><BR>All the best<BR>Andrew

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 07:50 AM
Jess

Andrew,<BR><BR>I won't forget! (walking along the Thames was practically pounded into my head by kindly posters, that and visit Kew (which may be out of my range). I plan on posting before I officially leave so as to recap all the fun things I've learned over the past few months. Like zip-locks are apparently high on the must-have list as well as washcloths- who knew! : )<BR><BR>Thanks for all the advice Andrew!<BR><BR>Jess